Clutch and Flywheel thoughts

vertigyn

Established Member
I know I have a Mach, but it's fairly similar to a Cobra at this point with the IRS, Viper T-56, and Kenne Bell so I thought you guys would have some good thoughts.

My driveline has been annoying me pretty much since I swapped in the USED Viper T-56 and Stage 3+ clutch. It's noisy, the clutch shakes the engine, and I'm thinking the clutch contributed to breaking the front mounting ears on my IRS pumpkin.

Eventually, the transmission will fail due to the bearings letting go. This may be soon or may be in the distant future. One shop was afraid that my transmission would break at any minute but S&R and myself disagree - it has felt the same and sounded the same since day one and I have beat the crap out of it with no issues or change in feel/noises. S&R just things the bearings are slowly letting go. Plus, fortunately the T-56 has the separate bell housing allowing the clutch/transmission fixes to have less labor over lap if done separately. Unfortunately, a new transmission or rebuild is out of the question for about another 6-8 months.

Anyways, here's my understanding of a clutch:
The clutch is the buffer between your engine and your transmission/rear end. If the clutch is too strong for the engine, then the impact (or I'll call it the shock) of the engine is transferred directly through the powerful clutch to your transmission and the transmission then passes the shock onto your rear end. If you have a properly matched clutch to your power level, then the clutch absorbs the shock and makes life easier on the transmission and rear end.

So, below are the things I would like some of your thoughts on:
1. Will mating the proper clutch to my car and power level help the transmission last longer? I imagine it will as the transmission will be 'shocked' less from the engine power.

2. What clutch would ya'll recommend - I have 475 at the wheels and want something that is easy to drive, chatter free, can withstand my autoX/road course hobbies, and is around $400.

3. What flywheel would ya'll recommend - I believe I have a spec Aluminum flywheel at the moment. Do flywheels wear out? Should I just replace the friction surface or get a whole new fly wheel?

Please let me know your thoughts guys!

I'll most likely be contacting a few shops/stores to get opinions as well.

Users who are viewing this thread