Clunking

Rocsfinest97

Domestics > Imports
Established Member
I have been noticing this distinct clunking sound coming from my drivers side front wheel area for awhile now. Yesterday I pulled off the wheel and reassembled the brake and rotor to make sure nothing was loose, then I torqued the wheel back on and took it down the road for a test drive. At first it seemed as though the problem was gone, but then after I got on it a little bit the problem came right back.

It is a very distinct clunk that matches the rotation speed of the wheel. It is strong enough that I can feel it through the floor of the car somewhat as well. It is defenitely audible through the window and if you stand outside the car. At first I thought it was an issue with my studs, as I installed longer moroso studs and double spacers to compensate for the rims and thicker pads, but it couldnt be, because everything is torqued and tight. Then I thought it could be a clearence issue, so I scoured the wheel well while someone drove her very slowly. Nothing. All I can think of, is that it could be the rotor on that side. My front rotors do need to be changed, although I had them turned. I think the rotor is causing the caliper to clunk around possibly. I'm not sure. What I do know is that, if it is the rotor its very odd, because I don't feel the brake pedal move at all. The sound does stop when I apply the brakes, it only happens when I cruise.

Gonna take it to a shop but I'd like to hear what you guys think
Any suggestions?:shrug:

Last edited:

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
stick you hand in the wheel, jiggle the caliper, see if it rattles up and downin the caliper bracket

jasongilmore

Cobra Commander
Established Member
Anti-rattle clips on your front calipers are likely missing.
That's what I would say.
I had the same problem took it to the dealer and they replaced the clips.
It's not cool to have a nice-looking car that rattles....

RoadZOmbie

Established Member
You might want to look into your Wheel Hub Bearing. When the bearings go bad you tend to get a clunk at times over bumps at low speeds but more of a groan at higher speeds. Pick your front end off the ground. Try to wiggle the tires up, down, left, right. If there is play in the wheel then you either have a bad wheel hub bearing or tie rod. -Just some other options- Good luck.

Last edited:

Rocsfinest97

Domestics > Imports
Established Member
You might want to look into your Wheel Hub Bearing. When the bearings go bad you tend to get a clunk at times over bumps at low speeds but more of a groan at higher speeds. Pick your front end off the ground. Try to wiggle the tires up, down, left, right. If there is play in the wheel then you either have a bad wheel hub bearing or tie rod. -Just some other options- Good luck.

Thought it was a bearing too, but theres no howling at all. Also it does it at a costant, not just over bumps. I almost want to say it gets worse in a sharp turn (ie. parking lot). I hope to god its not a tie rod..

I'll check the clips, because this problem didnt start til I installed some ceramic pads, so maybe I forgot them when I reattached everything.

Rocsfinest97

Domestics > Imports
Established Member
So I was just thinking about it, and it couldnt be the clips, because I specificially remember the pads having them when i put them in. Not sure on this one, I'm gonna have to have the shop look at it and I'll let you guys know. If anyones got any more ideas shoot em my way.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
It's not the clips, if it was, you would hear them constantly rattling.
You said it's a clunk.

Check your swaybar and endlinks.

Users who are viewing this thread