Clunking Noise?

XxViSiOnxX

Established Member
Im starting to hear a clunking noise coming from the passenger side front, now its not the same sound from when my Strut mount brace went out, this happens when im slightly turning or even on a straight away and i hit the brake, now it doesnt do it every time it mainly does it after the car's been sitting for a long period of time then when i take off this happens so any ideas what i should look for, do you think it might have anything to do with the lowering springs they have been installed over 2 months and didnt have that noise before or after until now? so any suggestions.

rich5150

Network Guy
Established Member
Im starting to hear a clunking noise coming from the passenger side front, now its not the same sound from when my Strut mount brace went out, this happens when im slightly turning or even on a straight away and i hit the brake, now it doesnt do it every time it mainly does it after the car's been sitting for a long period of time then when i take off this happens so any ideas what i should look for, do you think it might have anything to do with the lowering springs they have been installed over 2 months and didnt have that noise before or after until now? so any suggestions.

I would definitley throw the car back up on jack stands and retorque all of your bolts. Did you use poly or rubber anywhere? Double check to make sure you don't have any metal-metal contact.

Another thought is to have someone turn the wheel to the right and left, ON the GROUND, while you have the hood open. Leave the engine off, and just muscle it to where you can hear the popping yourself right down by the tire to try to isolate the issue.

A popping noise traditionally is caused by a binding, then a stress relief(a part suddenly moves that wasn't moving smoothly before)

Hope this helps

07_gt_mustang

Banned
I have installed coilover system and im getting
the clunking noise too i have spent days (no :bs: if you add up all the hours it will add up to days and i still cant get it to stop :shrug: but i do know what it is (on my s197)

Ok here's what i know so far:

first you have the shock then atached to that you have a sway bar link connector then atached to that it's of course your sway bar the clunking noise on my s197 is the sway bar, thats where my clunking noise is coming from.

there's a little bit of play where the bar connects with the link i dont know how to get that to a point where is tight

now tell me you get the noise mostly when the car makes a small slow movement right? mostly when completely straight or wheel turned all the way either left or right am i right?

get under the car while someone makes the car go up and down and see if it's coming from the same area my clunking is coming from i have a couple ideas but i just havent had time to see if it will solve it

idea 1: slightly wrap the swaybar link bolt with a rubberish tape and shove it thru the swaybar to get rid of the metal on metal from that and
the other is to adjust the links (must be adjustable) so that one is slightly longer than the other that way one side pulls up on the bar and the other pushes down to get rid of the play.

i dont know i hope i didnt say a bunch of nothing...

Last edited:

Chuckieduck

Established Member
The sound is likely coming from the upper strut mount. This is a common problem on Mustang that aren't lowered. It gets work when you lower the car. The upper stut mount from the factory is made out of plastic. It is grooved for the spring to sit in. Steeda makes a great upper stut mount that will sovle the problem by getting rid of the plastic piece all together. Hope this helps.

Chuckieduck

Established Member
The sound is likely coming from the upper strut mount. This is a common problem on Mustang that aren't lowered. It gets work when you lower the car. The upper stut mount from the factory is made out of plastic. It is grooved for the spring to sit in. Steeda makes a great upper stut mount that will sovle the problem by getting rid of the plastic piece all together. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread