clunk shift clunk...

nasty99

Established Member
so since the bushings are trash in the IRS of the cobras what do you think im lookin at if i get the bushings fixed at a shop? im hearing it could be anything theats under 100 bucks and even up to one thousand bucks! taking it in tomorrow, what should i expect?

poneypower

They call me Shipwreck!
Established Member
did they give you a quote? If not I would at least ask for one before they start tearing into it so that when they say that'll be $1,000 you don't shit yourself.

When I had my IRS worked on, along with installing gears, the total was $600. that was with a discount because they screwed so many things up during the install. I'm not sure what the original quote was for. of course rates vary from location to location so keep that in mind. I've heard anywhere from 6-10 hours for the whole job, maybe more maybe less.

Last edited:

nasty99

Established Member
did they give you a quote? If not I would at least ask for one before they start tearing into it so that when they say that'll be $1,000 you don't shit yourself.

When I had my IRS worked on, along with installing gears, the total was $600. that was with a discount because they screwed so many things up during the install. I'm not sure what the original quote was for. of course rates vary from location to location so keep that in mind. I've heard anywhere from 6-10 hours for the whole job, maybe more maybe less.

ya i told him to take a look at it and if its a thousand dollar job then dont even worry about it im just gonna sell it. i cant afford this shit anymore

Nitrous SSC

Established Member
Install the poly MM bushing dif kit. Did wonders for our car's clunk. Its cheap to buy but kind of a pain to install but well worth it.

nasty99

Established Member
yea but only thing is im not gonna spend tons of money into labor. i gotta get something more practical. it has only 45k on it and its like it has over 145k... such a pain right now its hurting my bank account.

nasty99

Established Member
or let it clunk and sell it lol. im just so pissed. everything always goes wrong at the same time.

HoustonGT

Established Member
or let it clunk and sell it lol. im just so pissed. everything always goes wrong at the same time.

+1 that just seems to be the law of car ownership.

Mine needed shocks/struts, so i bought those and then noticed that the bushings looked like crap, so there goes some more money...

Then 2 days later, the brakes start to squeal like crazy and the rotors are too worn and cant be turned.

So a 250 dollar shock/strut swap has managed to balloon into $1,600 spent on the car... :nonono:

poneypower

They call me Shipwreck!
Established Member
When I sold my IRS I pulled it myself. After doing the job, I would have tackled the bushing install myself in retrospect. It really wasn't a technically tough job, just a little time consuming. So if you want to save money on the install, think about doing it yourself.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
The "cobra clunk" is very common, is it so bad that it makes you hate driving the car? I upgraded to ftbr diff bushings and 9/16 subframe bolts and I still get a clunk from 1st to 2nd gear once in awhile.

Users who are viewing this thread