clunk on hard shifts?

matsm21

wasting time again?!
Established Member
I sometimes get a clunk on hard shifts, mostly in 1st or 2nd. it doesnt happen all the time. any ideas?

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
Could be your tranny or drive shaft smashing into your e-brake bracket or the trans tunnel. Crawl up under there and check your drive shaft for horrible gashes and see if it or the trans are really close to the tunnel or e-brake handle bracket.

matsm21

wasting time again?!
Established Member
almost 100k on the car. It does feel like the something was lurching back under the car. I initially thought motor mounts...maybe it is the trans mount

bmxr152

SvT 4 LiFE
Established Member
Probly your Motor mounts. Thats what it is for me, im just to lazy to fix it. And sometimes when you start it do you hear a fast t-t-t-t clunking noise?
The transmount wont really affect it as much beacuse its bolted to the motor and unless the bolts can move the transmission is only going to move as much as the motor.

Last edited:

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
ive dont that on hard 1-2 shifts but i figured it was cuz my car is solid as a rock as I have frame rails going front to back and so it was the suspension giving a little, I'll have to check my driveshaft to see for myself....post up when you know what your problem was I wanna know

matsm21

wasting time again?!
Established Member
Probly your Motor mounts. Thats what it is for me, im just to lazy to fix it. And sometimes when you start it do you hear a fast t-t-t-t clunking noise?
The transmount wont really affect it as much beacuse its bolted to the motor and unless the bolts can move the transmission is only going to move as much as the motor.

no, I don't get that sound on start up...I'll probably just get everything changed when I get my headers done...thank god I just got a new DD so I can take my time. The cobra is now retired to weekend duty!!!

Users who are viewing this thread