Clunk/ Drivetrain slop with FTBR setup

Eman45

Established Member
Had vibration from rear from bad drive shaft. At 80 and up got worst the faster you went. Balanced out fine and the joint was ok. The runout was out. swapped with a used factory drive shaft. Smooth no vibration from rear at high speeds. But still have the noise from dif clutching at a stop sometimes or the 1st or rev. No change there.

psycholx

ALWAYS STANG, SOMETIMES L
Established Member
When is the clunk happening most? The irs diff is notorious for being noisy and making a clunk. Mine only does it when I shift into first when the car/diff is cold.
If you are getting a clunk when you go into first, it is not the diff, its your clutch not disengaging fully or you shifting into gear before the input shaft stops spinning which then makes a clunk at the rear. Try going to 2nd or 3rd first then go to 1st, clunk won't happen once input shaft stops.

slow98cobra

Established Member
With the rest of the group. Didn’t see much that was not to be expected. I get a little clunk myself but nothing that my other two 03 cobras didn’t have as well.

Fooj

Established Member
It has to be a bad bushing in the rear, i posted the vid and you can see the diff has alot of movement. Ive also noticed the clunk is louder in cooler weather and as i drive for like over an hour is gets less. Plan is to install FTBR new rear diff isolator next driving season hopefully that is the issue. Its annoying to drive the car like this, if i give it enough gas where i create a equal presser on the trans and diff ( if that makes sense) i get a audible vibration coming from the back like something is loose.

Users who are viewing this thread