Closing Silencer Ports on Eaton (Photos)

Tha_PiG

Established Member
So Brian, what is your take on this mod. Would you recommend it or advise to stay away. I am just finishing up the paint work on that blower and now would be the time to do it. I love the whine, ha.

-Eric

I've read up on this till I was blue in the face. Most of the articles / threads say the same thing.

There is no performance value, it just makes the blower louder.

I guess its all in what you want...

I think almost every thread I read, the ports were sealed with JB Weld or some other type of epoxy.

I just used these little plug and a few small welds.

Based on everything I've read, I don't think i'll have any problems...

If for some reason the welds did break loose (Which I don't see how they would)

They'll just fall on top on the intercooler and sit there...

Last edited:

Mudd92

03 AB Mach
Established Member
Ok so if you cant weld it without disassembly. Could you epoxy or JB it without tearing it down?

Thanks.

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
So Brian, what is your take on this mod. Would you recommend it or advise to stay away. I am just finishing up the paint work on that blower and now would be the time to do it. I love the whine, ha.

-Eric

I'm neutral in that it's just up to each person. As far as would I do it? Nope it took me a month to pick out my entire exhaust system for what I wanted to hear so I'd rather hear that.

I've read up on this till I was blue in the face. Most of the articles / threads say the same thing.

There is no performance value, it just makes the blower louder.

I guess its all in what you want...

I think almost every thread I read, the ports were sealed with JB Weld or some other type of epoxy.

I just used these little plug and a few small welds.

Based on everything I've read, I don't think i'll have any problems...

If for some reason the welds did break loose (Which I don't see how they would)

They'll just fall on top on the intercooler and sit there...

Welding on the inside of the case just isn't a good idea. I can show you some welds on one of my blowers that are cracking and I drove 3 hours to have the best welder I know of do the welding on it. If they come loose they're going to do a bunch of damage on top of that intercooler let alone take a small chance of bouncing back up and hitting the rotors over an extended period of time. I think the IC is $600 currently. Think how much air and vibration is right there on what is welded?

Ok so if you cant weld it without disassembly. Could you epoxy or JB it without tearing it down?

Thanks.

I suppose you could if you didn't get any inside the rotor bores. Clean it with some brake cleaner or something close to it.

MVD

Established Member

Thanks.

No. You have to put something inside the casing to prevent the filler material from getting inside the case. The rotors can not contact the filler material at all when you are finished.

Removing the rotor pack takes all of 5 minutes. Don't half ass it, do it right the first time.

Tha_PiG

Established Member
Welding on the inside of the case just isn't a good idea. I can show you some welds on one of my blowers that are cracking and I drove 3 hours to have the best welder I know of do the welding on it. If they come loose they're going to do a bunch of damage on top of that intercooler let alone take a small chance of bouncing back up and hitting the rotors over an extended period of time.

I would like to see photos of the welds your talking about..

and I DIDNT EVEN THINK of them bouncing back up.. That is a good point to consider.. I guess I just figured since the S/C is constantly blowing air DOWN, there would be little concern for anything blowing back Up. I guess thats always possible. Damn, Got me thinkin now..

The good news is these Eaton blowers can be picked up pretty Cheep. Maybe I'll just run it as is for a little while, maybe replace it with a newer one later down the road...

Thanks for chiming in.

Mudd92

03 AB Mach
Established Member
Well the reason I was worried about pulling the case apart, isnt there a gasket between there i would need to replace or do i just use some black silicone? And is there anything that could fall out like bearings or anything??

Thanks..

crazycarlo

Established Member
i wanna see more videos of people with the silencers closed. perferbly a before and after vid with the same mods.

Tha_PiG

Established Member
I want to do this with my Eaton. It's currently not on the car. +1 on how do you pull the rotor pack and what needs replaced/sealed when going back together? I'm kind of retarded when it comes to blowers.

Its pretty simple. Plus it gives you a chance to replace the ugly factory bolts with shinny polished ones. :rolling:

2k1S281

Established Member
There are tear down videos on you tube.

Not a Cobra one but an Eaton..[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Lu6n5qBE2s"]YouTube - Breaking down an Eaton Blower[/nomedia]

Last edited:

65fastback2+2

Established Member
its stinkin easy to pull them apart.

if you do it the quick way, take bolts out of snout, take hammer and knock snout off, exposing the rotor gears....take screw driver and hammer and knock the next section loose, pull rotors out of blower voila. reassemble and fill with amsoil 10w30.

if you wanna take some more time, you SHOULD be able to knock the second section with the rotors loose WITHOUT removing the snout or draining the oil.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
remove bolts
196603_708975400838_38701349_37970824_3739944_n.jpg

remove snout
198930_708975620398_38701349_37970828_8051477_n.jpg

remove rotors
197214_708977022588_38701349_37970879_7603596_n.jpg

when I reassembled I used copper RTV between the sections for a seal. there isnt a seal from the factory afaik

Users who are viewing this thread