clockspring????

Twistedoffpurp

Established Member
I was wondering if any of you have had a clockspring go out? I think mine may have gone out cause I checked all the fuses and all is good. I also checked all conections to the cruise control module and horns and all appears good. This didn't happen until I got my car back from having the head gaskets done and the tune put on as well. It also does not sound the horn when I push the lock button on the keypad twice, although the lights do flash as normal. Could this be the clock spring or should I look elsewhere? I do not have an aftermarket alarm if that helps.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
I would think that the alarm wouldn't go through the clockspring -- it would go directly to your horns. Did you check your horns directly w/12V? My low tone horn was out when I first got my Cobra (talk about a whimpy sounding horn w/only the high tone!!), so I know they can go out.

I thought my clockspring was going bad on my '91 5.0 when my air bag light started flashing. I tested the clockspring and it was fine. Just be VERY careful if you take your air bag off to test your clockspring. Like I said, I would check your horns and connections before heading straight to your clockspring.

Also, I'm not sure if it's related, but when I replaced the intake manifold gaskets on my Burb (should have been a quick job, but it wasn't) I left my battery disconnected for quite a while. It no longer chirps when I lock the doors either. There may be a way to program the chirp to come back.

Twistedoffpurp

Established Member
I haven't checked the horns directly but the cruise control is out also that's why I checked all the fuses today and did a visual inspection on it today. Does anybody think it could be a tune issue, I just had it dyno tuned.

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
The clockspring is the electrical connection under air bag. It provides a very consistent electrical connection to the air bag. It's wound up like a clockspring, hence the name. If you ever take on out, you have to be careful to make sure it gets put back properly so 1/2 of its travel goes clockwise and 1/2 goes counterclockwise. I'm not sure I'm explaining it right -- it's like your steering wheel can look like it's straight but it can actually be one revolution off either way. Like when my wife doesn't check the indicator on our boat. I tell her to hit it and expect a straight pull, but the boat ends up turning to the side since the steering wheel is off one revolution. If you're off one revolution w/the clockspring, most likely you're going to break it.

Speaking of waterskiing -- a couple of more days and the average temps start increasing!!!

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
3B99SVT said:
The clockspring is the electrical connection under air bag. It provides a very consistent electrical connection to the air bag. It's wound up like a clockspring, hence the name. If you ever take on out, you have to be careful to make sure it gets put back properly so 1/2 of its travel goes clockwise and 1/2 goes counterclockwise. I'm not sure I'm explaining it right -- it's like your steering wheel can look like it's straight but it can actually be one revolution off either way. Like when my wife doesn't check the indicator on our boat. I tell her to hit it and expect a straight pull, but the boat ends up turning to the side since the steering wheel is off one revolution. If you're off one revolution w/the clockspring, most likely you're going to break it.

Speaking of waterskiing -- a couple of more days and the average temps start increasing!!!

Hmm, thanks for explaining it, that's a part I wasn't familiar w/! :beer:

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
the clockspring is a way for the electrical swithes on the steering wheel to keep contact w/ the circuit, even though the steering wheel turns...i've never heard of one on a late model going out...

i would check these things:
-when my cruise quit working on my old 01, it turned out to be the clutch switch was bent out of position (there are two, this one senses when the clutch pedal is BEGINNING to be pushed, not when it is fully depressed, that other one is for starting the car)...
-another time when my cruise quit working the cable from the cruise actuator to the t/b had popped off the t/b...just snapped it back on...
-i'm pretty sure both the horn and cruise run through relays...may be the same relay...i'd check those...
-there are fuses under the hood as well, if you weren't aware of those...check ALL fuses again to verify that is not the problem...

i would check all of these before messing w/ the clockspring...they are all easy checks...

Twistedoffpurp

Established Member
I checked all the mini fuses but I dont have a tester to test the relay's. I didn't bother checking the large fuses under the hood cause I don't think by reading the owners manual that it told me anything about the horn or cruise being routed through the large fuses. I am now gonna have to get my big a$$ under the dash to check the other clutch switch. Thank's Quick01snake.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Twistedoffpurp said:
I checked all the mini fuses but I dont have a tester to test the relay's. I didn't bother checking the large fuses under the hood cause I don't think by reading the owners manual that it told me anything about the horn or cruise being routed through the large fuses. I am now gonna have to get my big a$$ under the dash to check the other clutch switch. Thank's Quick01snake.

btw if you take the driver's seat out (2 nuts and 2 bolts, either one or two plugs), it makes it much easier...oh, and lay a folded over towel over the two seat studs, your back will thank you...

Users who are viewing this thread