Clock spring? Or something else

Noreast

Established Member
Dropped my steering rack to replace the rack bushings to poly and change the two lines that are on it. Bolt it all together , turn the wheel to the right and doesn't make noise, get the wheel straight still good.. Once I turn the wheel left 1 turn it makes a moaning sound and I feel it in my wheel. Once I figure how to post a video ill get it on here. Was wondering if it could be the clock spring? The wheel stayed in one spot and didn't move that's where I'm confused

Noreast

Established Member
6B3D635A-1232-45A7-ABEC-DA44DED74751-6113-00000302162D1BF1_zps20a22b45.mp4

Noreast

Established Member
It's the clock spring there's no lock it'll just keep going. Anyone know how much they are and if ford still carries them

paintballpyro1

Established Member
yea, i believe so. airbag light was flashing a code telling me it was the clock spring. i made the mistake of spinning my steering wheel to far when i had the steering shaft disconnect and then heard a snap.

install is easy, disconnect battery, there are 2 screws 1 on each side of the steering wheel that you pop these tabs off and then undo the screws under, airbag comes out, then you need to pull your steering wheel(make sure you thread them far enough in, i didnt and broke the threads and had to he-man my steering wheel off) then under that is the clockspring, install is reverse order.

if i can find a how to link ill post it for you just incase i missed a step, its been awhile.

Noreast

Established Member
yea, i believe so. airbag light was flashing a code telling me it was the clock spring. i made the mistake of spinning my steering wheel to far when i had the steering shaft disconnect and then heard a snap.

install is easy, disconnect battery, there are 2 screws 1 on each side of the steering wheel that you pop these tabs off and then undo the screws under, airbag comes out, then you need to pull your steering wheel(make sure you thread them far enough in, i didnt and broke the threads and had to he-man my steering wheel off) then under that is the clockspring, install is reverse order.

if i can find a how to link ill post it for you just incase i missed a step, its been awhile.

Ok excellent great news thanks a lot! But I have no lights flashing or anything :/ I put the rack on and I know I didn't move the wheel and the lock to lock doesn't work the wheel just skips I gotta post a video idk how still Ill figure it out

paintballpyro1

Established Member
you didnt switch the 2 lines by any chance? the moaning sounds like the power steering. if you do get a video post it up, i know there are some great guys on here that will be able to help also.

Noreast

Established Member
you didnt switch the 2 lines by any chance? the moaning sounds like the power steering. if you do get a video post it up, i know there are some great guys on here that will be able to help also.

Ok ill try to but no it's not ps lines I bled the system and still was there. Almost sounds like the springs inside the wheel bc I can feel tension and the noise is 100% from the wheel not the rack or anywhere else

paintballpyro1

Established Member
only thing i could suggest is double check your work. maybe disconnect the steering shaft from the steering wheel(from under the dash spot) and see if you still have tension, if not then atleast you know its somewhere further down and then go from there?

Noreast

Established Member
only thing i could suggest is double check your work. maybe disconnect the steering shaft from the steering wheel(from under the dash spot) and see if you still have tension, if not then atleast you know its somewhere further down and then go from there?

Gunna do this tomorrow. Will post back up thanks !

Sick SVT

Established Member
If the clock spring broke it should throw an air bag light. Also the horn should stop woirking if the clock spring is bad. Does yours still work? If the wheel didn't spin maybe its something else in there...

Noreast

Established Member
If the clock spring broke it should throw an air bag light. Also the horn should stop woirking if the clock spring is bad. Does yours still work? If the wheel didn't spin maybe its something else in there...

..... Well come to think of it when I hit the horn before the high pitch one went on first than the low if that makes sense over writing lol ill try it again in the morning

Noreast

Established Member
Sooooo had an extra set of hands helping me out today...... Had them turning the wheel and I realized that I didn't tighten the bolt on the column to the rack lol silly stupid mistake so thanks everyone ! Got it all lined up and it works great.

paintballpyro1

Established Member
just needed a second look. At least you found your problem. i have the tendency sometimes to hurry and put things together cause i get excited for it to be done and then i find the issues later haha.

Noreast

Established Member
just needed a second look. At least you found your problem. i have the tendency sometimes to hurry and put things together cause i get excited for it to be done and then i find the issues later haha.

Haha yeahh that's exactly what happened lol

Users who are viewing this thread