clicking sound in steering...

jream

mods, DAMN peer pressure!
Established Member
anyone have any clicking sounds in their steering?

notice it a lot when the car is off and try turning the steering wheel... i get a clicking or popping sound?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
do you get the noise turning the wheel with the car running? My F150 developed a click/pop as you turned the wheel, they replaced the clock spring and it went away. They claim it wasnt broken but said if they were going through the trouble of trying to re-seat it they might as well replace it

raustin0017

Established Member
I'm not a master mechanic...but I don't think it would be a good plan to try and turn the steering wheel without power to an EPAS (electric power assist steering) system?

anyone have any clicking sounds in their steering?

notice it a lot when the car is off and try turning the steering wheel... i get a clicking or popping sound?

jream

mods, DAMN peer pressure!
Established Member
Yes it still makes the sound while it's running as well.

I'm not trying to turn the steering wheel while the car is off all the way left or right. I'm simply turning it just enough to put some pressure on the wheel and then it also makes the pop noise

nhs156

Established Member
I just tried turning my steering wheel with the engine off - couldn't do it. Felt like I'd have to put a huge amount of pressure on the steering wheel to make the wheel/tire budge just a tiny bit, so I decided not to try for fear of breaking something.

I did turn the car on (which of course lets me turn the steering wheel easily when idling), and then turned it off to the last ignition switch position before actually starting the engine (i.e. all electronics were "on" but the engine was "off"), and I couldn't turn the steering wheel either.

I get no clicking/popping when the engine is running and I'm turning the wheel. In fact, I'm pleased that the car is completely rattle proof and feels as solid as it did when I rolled off the dealer lot nearly 8K miles ago...

So.... can't help but wonder whether you've put inadvertent pressure on something you shouldn't have, which may have caused the popping/clicking issue. Good news is that the dealer should be able to fix it for you!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread