Clear Bra

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
If you are using Expel, a grand will get you the basic front "bra" look and the mirrors and that is about all. Expel all the way would be $2K+.

I have the cut line on mine and unless you know to look for it, you can't find it. Have you seen one first-hand?

Tom

Imatk

Established Member
I don't know if it was Expel, but I've seen a few and I noticed all of them, but I'm anal :)

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
My son has a clear bra on his Focus ST. The part on the mirrors always stands out to me. The hood doesn't stick out unless I'm close to it and the car is dirty. I don't know if it's 3M or Xpel. It was on the car when he got it.

oldbmwfan

Established Member
I'm debating between a clear bra for stone chip and bug etching protection, or just a really good sealant (or ceramic coating) for chemical protection without the physical barrier. Pretty torn. I've always been a DIY detailer but with this car, I'd like to get a pro's hands on it first to establish a good baseline that I can try to maintain.

For a car that is garaged and mostly sees occasional highway use and maybe a couple track events/ year, is a clear bra worthwhile?

Imatk

Established Member
A sealant or coating is not going to protect you from rock chips.

If you don't like getting rock chips on your bumper then yes it's worth it.

oldbmwfan

Established Member
Yes, that part seems obvious. I guess I'm weighing cost vs. appearance vs. potential for damage for what is effectively a pretty limited-use vehicle.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
If you want to keep it pristine, a clear bra or a wrap is the way to go. I weighed the same thing back when I bought my GT500. In my mind, I knew the aesthetic of that line would just drive me insane, so I opted against putting anything on it. Seven and a half years later, I have almost no noticeable damage from rock chips. The most visible damage was caused when I parked too close to one of those stupid cable fences on a parking deck. The knuckle connector cut my stripes.

I'm leaning more toward putting something on my R because I want to actually track this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread