cleaning the inside of the rim

huggytree

Established Member
do any of you clean the inside of the rim?

on my other car i do....it shows if you dont

i cant fit my hands through the holes in the rims on the gt500, so im wondering how im going to do that.....same with the Brembo's

do you reach your hands around the back of the rim?

or am i nuts and no one bothers???

i figure thats why Ford doesnt put red brembos on their car....because it cant be cleaned w/o removing the rim

i like a highly detailed car......

zr1gerhardt

You can't outrun ugly!
Established Member
No. Let it go. Life is to short to be cleaning the inside of one's wheels on a regular basis. This is not a limited edition Ferrari that will be worth $1.5 million in 20 years.

Just my two cents.

Scott

JakeSpoon3

Established Member
Adam's Polishes website has detailed how to video

do any of you clean the inside of the rim?

on my other car i do....it shows if you dont

i cant fit my hands through the holes in the rims on the gt500, so im wondering how im going to do that.....same with the Brembo's

do you reach your hands around the back of the rim?

or am i nuts and no one bothers???

i figure thats why Ford doesnt put red brembos on their car....because it cant be cleaned w/o removing the rim

i like a highly detailed car......

Adam's Premium Car Care - Cleaners, Waxes and Polishes Made in the USA

Adam's Polishes website shows detailed video with regard to cleaning the inside of your rims. I use the turbo stick wheel cleaning tool (and my drill) with the green wheel cleaner from the website. Click on videos (go to cleaning wheels and tires) and you will see exactly how to EASILY clean the inside of your rims without removing the tires. You can also use the wheel woolies which come in a variety of sizes to make the job simple when trying to clean around the brake pads. Hope this helps. Adam's has some great products. The videos from their site have been a huge help for me.

dom418

Established Member
Do it the right way and take the wheels off. I do mine yearly along with the wheel wells. Throw a coat of wax on the inside of the rim as well. It's all in the details and they make a huge difference in the appearance.

Tikigrill

Established Member
You might like the wheel cleaning wands from Griot's. I use them every time I wash the car. The handle is plastic so you don't hurt the wheel. The only issue is that you can't get the portion of the inner wheel where the caliper is. Won't fit. It at least goes a long way to keeping them clean enough to look good and not need any abrasives to clean it when you have the wheels off. Hope that helps.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I use a bottle brush to clean mine every time I wash the car. I also use it to reach those hard to reach places in the fender well behind the tires.

Eviltwins344

Creepy Lurker
Established Member
I was fortunate enough to do some carpentry work for a fella and he wasn't able to pay me in cash. So he gave me a two post lift that I installed in my garage. The use of the lift has paid for itself over and over.

In the case of detailing my pride and joy, my first step is to raise it up and clean the inside of the rims from the underside which allows me to clean the hard to reach portion of the rim with just a sponge. Also helps in doing the wheel wells.

2a6e9emy.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

huggytree

Established Member
any chance if i lay next to my car that i can give the rim a reach-around? and get inside there....maybe clean 1/2 or 1/3rd of it at a time

anyone used turtleway rim cleaner? or similar...will it melt the clearcoat off the rims?

thanks for the advice everyone.....ill have a lift in 3-4 months....i may have to wait until then to have a fully detailed gt500

Eviltwins344

Creepy Lurker
Established Member
The only stuff I use is Meguiars all wheel cleaner. I have gotten burned by other cleaners that say they won't damage painted and clear coated rims and wind up leaving spots and damage I can't get out.

Although.....I have been frequenting the Detailing section of this forum and the AutoGeek forums and there are some nice products that professionals use. I might stray outside my comfort zone to try some of them.

03DontMach

Established Member
Whichever tire cleaner you go with, try to dilute it and then use it. I used meguiars hot wheels for so long without diluting and it spotted my rims.. So make sure that you dilute the cleaner with some water possibly so you don't chance the rim getting spotted.

Eviltwins344

Creepy Lurker
Established Member
I had a cheaper version of that brush where the stem was wire and wasn't plastic coated as indicated in the description. I really wish I knew about this brush then.

Users who are viewing this thread