Cleaning the engine

04Chris

Chicane straightner
Established Member
I wanted to try and clean my engine and i'm not sure of the best way to do it. My new polished accufab tb and plenum i'm getting next week will look alittle out of place with a dirty engine. Any info you guys have would be great.

Steeda30

Clearance Clarence
Established Member
I just sprayed my entire engine bay down with "Autozone Engine Degreaser", let it sit for 15 minutes, hosed it all off, let dry. Then I sprayed the whole thing down with CD-2 Engine Detailer, let it sit for 20 minutes, then went and drove it around to set the resin. Here are some pics. The CD-2 Engine Detailer has been discontinued and may be hard to locate. I found a nice supply of it a few weeks ago at AutoZone and picked up 10 cans :D.
TerminatorEngine1.jpg

TerminatorEngine2.jpg

TerminatorEngine3.jpg

Last edited:

DARKSTI

Yea, its a 4CYL ...
Established Member
I use a APC diluted to 1:5 and spray it on the engine, let it sit. Then i agitate it with a brush on the tougher areas then rinse with a slow stream of water then wash the paint like the rest of the car.

LCCOBRA

Established Member
Steeda30 said:
The CD-2 Engine Detailer has been discontinued and may be hard to locate. I found a nice supply of it a few weeks ago at AutoZone and picked up 10 cans :D.

So perdy. I found this out last week when I tried looking for some :-D

Scott 01Cobra

have bling will travel
Established Member
You should actually do the SPRAYING down with the engine running ..... not the degreasing part but when you are ready to hose it off - start the car first. Back in the days when my bay got dirty this is what I did. The simple green is fantastic - you really don't need engine degreaser.

The key is to not let it get too dirty ....

Additional tips:

Anything polished - keep it up with aluminum polish so it stays nice. ONLY use chrome polish or wax on chrome. The best thing I have found for chrome is The Klasse Red Bottle. Yes, it's for paint but I use Zaino - the klasse is wonderful on chrome - trust me. Same with rims.

On all the black stuff use Motrhers Back-to-black ..... works wonders. Use it on your hoses as well.

Don't forget to wipe down the pulleys.

Care to see an engine bay? >>>>

http://www.stainlessbumperletters.com/scottwinger.htm/2001-engine.html

sixt5

Established Member
i had to clean my engine bay last night and didnt have anything so i found some tar and bug remover and shot it on the intake. take somethign and scrub it and it gets oil, anti freezer and of coure bugs off.

just make sure it doesnt get into your carb (if you got one) or fuel system. it doesnt like to start afterwards! (dont ask :( )

Martinrulz

Established Member
In my owners manual it says to cover up the battery, fuse box and air cleaner. Not sure what all needs to be covered on your Cobra but I'd assume it'd be the same. I just use aluminum foil to cover those things and I'm good to go.

SVTDemon

Established Member
I have cleaned hundreds of engines, being that I have worked at a detail shop for 10 years, you don't have to cover anything. spry the engine compart down with simple green then start the motor and rinse with a hose let it keep running till motor is pretty dry and spray it with a tire dressing and smooth out the execess with a rag

Users who are viewing this thread