Cleaning the engine bay

AtlantaGT500

Established Member
I am sure there are plenty of threads about this but since the search function is not working properly..... I have a 2012 GT500 that is my DD. This is the second year I have had the car and have managed to keep the engine bay mostly clean of dirt, grime, pollen you get the point. I am able to keep all the big flat surfaces pretty clean, the problem I am having now is the nooks and crannies. I read somewhere on this forum that you should not use water directly on the engine or at least on the MAF.

My question is, what is the best way to clean the engine bay? Is taking it somewhere where they steam-clean a option? I would rather do it myself but also don't want it to turn into 2 days with a Q-Tip.

Thanks

hoamskilet

Established Member
I cover any electrical connection with aluminum foil (can mold it around whatever object and it stays put), do a quick rinse, spray it down with a citrus degreaser (or whatever you feel like using), let it dwell for a bit, scrub nooks and crannies quick with a small boars hair brush, then rinse it all off. Once I'm done washing I use a leaf blower to blow dry most of the engine bay, remove anything covering electrical connections, and let the car run for awhile to evaporate any remaining moisture. Once it cools down dress all your plastic/hoses/rubber

You gotta remember, everything under the hood is designed to deal with a bit of water.....just don't get crazy and flood anything down with tons of water

Last edited:

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I cover any electrical connection with aluminum foil (can mold it around whatever object and it stays put), do a quick rinse, spray it down with a citrus degreaser (or whatever you feel like using), let it dwell for a bit, scrub nooks and crannies quick with a small boars hair brush, then rinse it all off. Once I'm done washing I use a leaf blower to blow dry most of the engine bay, remove anything covering electrical connections, and let the car run for awhile to evaporate any remaining moisture. Once it cools down dress all your plastic/hoses/rubber

You gotta remember, everything under the hood is designed to deal with a bit of water.....just don't get crazy and flood anything down with tons of water
+1 to all of this ^^.

Whether you use their products or not, Adam's produced a tutorial video on this topic.

AtlantaGT500

Established Member
Thanks guys. I thought I had read somewhere on this site that there is something against the firewall on the GT500 that should not get to wet. I can't find that post for the life of me, any ideas?

ImRambo

Established Member
Just be careful. On 4vs its a little safer because the coilpacks are better protected. Buddy with a GT ruined two coils, running rough blew his cats then his alternator went out. Haha bad night. Never has issues with my 4v. Just cover air intake, alternator, maybe coilpacks. Everythings designed to get water on it just not pressured water..

Merlinii

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
Established Member
I've used Gunk (cleaner and shine) and one of my very favorites was CD-2.
I cover the electrics with plastic wrap/bags and spray with Simple Green 1:3
A light mist to rinse but as noted above be careful & stay away from electrics.

There are quite a few engine dressings...
For a nice matte factory rich looking finish I like using SONUS Trim & Motor Kote.

As mentioned...some products are flammable...so keep the hood up and let it dry.

Users who are viewing this thread