Cleaning the brembo packaged wheels with brake dust remover?

mikestoyz

Established Member
normal_woodward_dream_cruise_mustang_23.jpg

I have these wheels. I usually clean my wheels with a watered down aluminum brightner I get from OReileys auto parts to remove break dust. I noticed these are painted. Should I avoid this cleaner and if so, what cleaner will help remove break dust with minimal scrubbing(ie, Id love to just hose it off)?
Its something like this:
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Best-Cleaning-Supply-Aluminum-Brightener/dp/B0033HK20A]Amazon.com: Aluminum Brightener - 1 gallon: Home & Kitchen[/ame]

flamed03vert

Established Member
Sonax, Brown Royal, or Eagle A@Z are a few that come to mind that would be safe and work well. Used in conjuction with a Daytona Speed Brush... makes it easy to clean the wheels, rotors, calipers and fenderwells. Once clean and dry seal them with a coat of Collinite 845IW, or OptiSeal.

gamatt

Whine Connoisseur
Established Member
^ What he said. Honestly though, if you do a thorough cleaning once with regular car wash soap and use a good sealant or wax, you really aren't going to need wheel cleaner. The brake dust should practically fall off at that point. I have some wheel cleaner and the only time I use it is on other people's cars or when I have bought used wheels.

The Daytona speed brush is awesome. Once you get over the sticker shock of it, there is no easier way to fully clean a wheel short of taking it off the car.

Last edited:

John@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Good suggestions above.

Sonax is by far the best wheel cleaner on the market and definitely worth considering. When you combine that with the Daytona Speed Master Wheel brush, there is no better 1-2 punch for wheel cleaning

We have both in stock and I can ship today, also providing you with a sweet forum discount.

Daytona Speed Master Wheel Brush [DSM-1000-SP] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs
DSM-1000-SP_MED.jpg

Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner - 16.9 fl oz [SON-230200] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs
SON-230200_MED.jpg

Thanks for the support!

John

mach14604

Established Member
I stopped using wheels cleaners on all my cars because of the fact that they can be harmful. I was a fan of Eagle One A2Z. But even that I felt was too harsh. I just did not like what I was seeing when cleaning was done. I stopping point was when I saw how thin the paint is on NIB Pony Wheels. I have two cars that have those on and won't take any chances. If you clean them up good with a good wash and wax and then polish and seal them you should be just fine.

flamed03vert

Established Member
I stopped using wheels cleaners on all my cars because of the fact that they can be harmful. I was a fan of Eagle One A2Z. But even that I felt was too harsh. I just did not like what I was seeing when cleaning was done. I stopping point was when I saw how thin the paint is on NIB Pony Wheels. I have two cars that have those on and won't take any chances. If you clean them up good with a good wash and wax and then polish and seal them you should be just fine.

In some cases this is fine. And I agree with using the least aggressive means to clean them. How ever some brake pads dusting is a little more aggressive and tend to etch the surface bonding tighter with the rim surface (German cars are notorious for this). The flip side to this would be to clay the wheels as if you would paing prior to sealing or using a good AIO one step Wax/Cleaner on them.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
I use the Daytona Speed Brush & my regular Meguiars car wash with great results. Just don't let it go a long time between cleanings and you shouldn't have issues with it getting caked on there, especially on the inner part of the wheels.

04ScSaleen325

Established Member
what do you guys recommend i should use for me chrome saleens than? not to hijack your thread op but a lot of great info here

Users who are viewing this thread