cleaning terminator engine bay

03 deadpool

Established Member
This may sound stupid but i want to clean my cobras engine bay my old fox body i would have sprayed the engine bay down with foamy engine bright and took the hose to it,this car has alot more stuff and i dont know what i can get wet and cant get wet.I know not to hose the valve covers down where the coil covers are but some info would be appreciated.

Black4VPower

SVT Poster
Established Member
How dirty is your engine? If you have any oil or crud on your front cover I would spray a degreaser on it and scrub it with a toothbrush and just hose the front cover off with low pressure water. I never have and dont recommend hosing down the whole engine bay, thats not to say it cant be done. I would use a all purpose cleaner or carefully use a degreaser without getting it on the paint on any dirty spots like the cam covers or anything else and wipe it off with a rag or maybe use low pressure water on that one spot. You could even spray tire foam on the whole engine compartment and it will break up the dirt, just wait a few minutes for it to work and wipe it off. Once you clean any painted areas like the underside of the hood and along side the insides of the fenders you can wax them. I dont care to use alot if any dressing under the hood because dirt can cling to it but if you like a bit of shine on the plastics or rubber you can. Sometimes I use a armor all wipe every few washings to give it a quick one over so it looks good. Once its to your liking just keep up with it by drying the engine bay every time you wash it and wiping off any dirt that is there. If you do this weekly it will always stay clean and it will be fairly simple. Everyone will have their own routine but this is mine.

03 deadpool

Established Member
Not so much the motor but the firewall and the inner fenders have a layer of crud on them i was thinking about a deluted simple green mix and a light water spray to rinse it off.

HIonPSI

Established Member
I used some diluted simple green in a spray bottle and a few microfibers. My engine bay was pretty dirty but after some time and a little elbow grease it was near perfect again. Something about spraying water in my engine bay never sat well with me...

The fender walls maybe Id go over with water carefully...as a last resort though.

Last edited:

crazylou

Established Member
straight simple green hot soapy water and a sponge... just make sure u put water on the fenders and surrounding areas so the straight simple green doesnt hurt the paint...

i use it all the time with no ploblems and bay looks like brand new...

dwish

Established Member
+1 to diluting simple green and using it with rags, toothbrushes, q-tips...and lots of patience.

T0RCH3D

Established Member
Gotta agree with simply green as a cheap, effective method for an engine degreaser. Though it can be harmful if not used carefully so I would not only dilute it but neutralize the applied area after use!

03vertsnake

Driver
Established Member
Simple Green will work well. Minimize water rinsing it off. You might want to put it on a light mist and dry it afterwards. Make sure you pull off your plug covers and make sure there isn't water in there. There is a hold in the back portion of the gasket that can let water in.

TX04WhiteL

Established Member
You can use Simple Green, that's what I used to use. Now, I use Adam's all purpose cleaner. I wash it down cold, (last time I did with the car I got up in the morning and pushed it out of the garage, dedication lol) and used a 2-n-1 shop vac to blow the water out away from the coils, crevices etc. I also used a plastic bag on the fuse cover. Then, hit everything with detail spray and a wipe, used Super VRT on all the big plastic pieces and In n out spray on all the little stuff like hoses, wires, sensors, etc.

If you don't believe in buying stuff over the internet, you could use these OTC products but I don't feel they work as easy/ well, but could get the job done.

Simple Green
Mothers Back to Black- takes a lot of product but looks good
Stoner Trim shine- greasier than the Adam's product, works good on radiator hoses etc. Let it dry for 10 minutes and don't wipe it if you want it to stay glossy, otherwise, wipe immediately and it will just turn the rubber/plastic black but not make it glossy at all.

Here is the bay on the Lightning using the OTC products I listed above
7483863530_bfe4d6e219_b.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread