Cleaning/Polishing 01 Cobra Wheels

87lc2

Established Member
01 Cobra Wheel 1.jpg01 Cobra Wheel 2.jpgPicked up a set of low mile 01 Cobra wheels and they're in great shape except for one thing - in direct sunlight there are very fine scratches all over them. This is only in direct sunlight, any other time they look like new. Im pretty sure these are polished with clearcoat so I tried using some compound/polish and it cleaned them up but did not remove the scratches. I even wet sanded a small spot with 2000 grit then buffed out and the scratches are still there.

Question is, is this normal? I highly doubt it but figured Id ask. If not, has anyone seen this and been able to get rid of it? Attached a photo to show what Im talking about.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
That's crazy. I know there's a clear coat and some guys have stripped it off. But then you really have to keep up on them. I don't remember mine having scratches like that.

87lc2

Established Member
Yea, its really annoying. Nothing I do is working. Shame is they came off of a 9k mile car, guy must have used a wheel brush on them or something. I have brand new tires sitting here but not sure I even want to get them mounted, it'll drive me crazy every time I look at them.

If anyone has any ideas Id appreciate it. I thought about stripping the clear off, car will mostly sit in the garage so wont be too much work. What the best way to strip the clear?

RX1Cobra

Established Member
I'm not sure about the scratches but are you sure those are cobra rims? And not from a GT? They used the same rims on later GT's but changed the center caps to the ones you have. Cobra ones will say SVT... not that it really matters, just sayin.

87lc2

Established Member
Yea, they are from a GT premium (04). They're the same wheels so I figured maybe someone here has refinished their Cobra rims.

Users who are viewing this thread