Cleaning my JLT air filter

luvgun74

Established Member
Ok i bought a used JLT CAI and was wondering what's best to use on cleaning it? Looked around on their website and only thing i can see is the typical spray cleaner kit. Wouldn't soap and water and letting sit in the sun for an afternoon work also? Just wanted a little input before i proceed.

alloy500

Established Member
The kits contain both a cleaner/solvant and a spray oil. The oil is nesscesary for the filter to work properly. Do not use the filter if it is just clean and dry, needs to be oiled.

ZXMustang

Banned
The kits contain both a cleaner/solvant and a spray oil. The oil is nesscesary for the filter to work properly. Do not use the filter if it is just clean and dry, needs to be oiled.

No, they say not to spray the filter. The oil will soak through and dirty the maf sensor.

luvgun74

Established Member
WOW! i never would've thought there would be this big of a debate on this! LOL Soap and water or cleaner kit and oil? HMMM Think i might just get the airgun out and shoot it clean from the inside out. :shrug:

ZXMustang

Banned
WOW! i never would've thought there would be this big of a debate on this! LOL Soap and water or cleaner kit and oil? HMMM Think i might just get the airgun out and shoot it clean from the inside out. :shrug:

I usually use dish soap and water in a bucket. Basicly I wash it in the bucket like a washing machine, then hose it off using the sprayer in the sink. Then I use my wifes hair dryer to dry it out. And again, no oil. If you are compelled to oil it, use the K&N spray oil and lightly spray it all the way around to get it to change back to the red color. But be very liberal with the oil if you must at all. Too much, and the car will suck it into the intake trac and it will spray on the maf. The maf is so close to the filter, it will happen. If you were going through a turbo or blower before it got to the maf, then by all means oil the filter.

alloy500

Established Member
No, they say not to spray the filter. The oil will soak through and dirty the maf sensor.

I thought that the oil made the filter more effective at trapping smaller contaminates, using a light coat of course so as to not coat the MAF sensor.
After cleaning and aplying a light coat of oil on mine, I will clean the MAF sensor with some MAF sensor spray cleaner after about a weeks worth of driving, or about 200 miles, so if any oil made it through the filter and on the sensor, it will be removed. I would rather clean the sensor from time to time than to let larger contaminates into the engine with a dry filter and possibly affect engine longevity.

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
I thought that the oil made the filter more effective at trapping smaller contaminates, using a light coat of course so as to not coat the MAF sensor.

...I would rather clean the sensor from time to time than to let larger contaminates into the engine with a dry filter and possibly affect engine longevity.

I agree. JLT sells the typical cleaning kits. And don't the filters arrive already oiled?

From JLT website:

"This is an easy and safe kit to use. It includes a filter cleaning solvent (12oz.) to release accumulated dirt, and a spray on fabric filter oil (12.3oz) for maximum dirt filtration.

The frequency you should clean your filter will depend on your driving conditions. S&B recommends checking your filter at every oil change or 3,000 miles. If there is a build up of dirt as thick as the wire mesh, then it is recommended to clean your filter. As dirt builds up on your filter, the restriction of the airflow also increases. More frequent cleanings will improve your fuel economy and your vehicle’s performance.

Red and Blue Oil is available."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread