Cleaning IAC valve

SinisterSTANG

SVT
Established Member
I thought I fixed an idle problem I was having, but it's back and I've got the IAC valve off and ready to be cleaned with carb cleaner. Any special procedure to cleaning it and putting it back? I'm assuming it's as simple as spraying the carb cleaner in there, letting it dry, and putting it back on the car....correct me if I'm wrong.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
i didn't do anything special. I just sprayed some carb cleaner in the piece that comes off until it was filled up. let it sit for about 30seconds then dumped it out. Then i sprayed the two openings on the intake and stuck a rag down there with a screw driver to clean it up a little.

dunno if it fixed my dying problem, though. I'm not driving cause i have an expired tag and got a ticket for that. and i can't pass emissions cause my speedometer doesn't work and its tripping the CEL.

SinisterSTANG

SVT
Established Member
Ok, I just put it back on and started it up, still doing it. Car idles fine but at times it can become eratic for a few seconds then smooth out. I figured it was the IAC so cleaned it. Next I'm going to check TPS, any quick how-to on that before I hit the Haynes manual?

96RagTop

Too slow, car wont go.
Established Member
Have you cleaned off your MAF? That seemed to help my slight idle problem. For that grab some electrical connection cleaner though.

Doug

That Person.
Established Member
check the middle wire on the connector of the TPS using a voltmeter. The voltage should NOT be above .98 at idle. adjust until it is below .98.

chrispy98cobra

Looking for a job
Established Member
mine does the same thing..........i cleaned it and it was good until i jinxed myself by saying" hey looks like it worked"........then an hour later it was back....its really annoying

JohnsMyName

Established Member
How bad is the idle jump? Our cars naturaly have a slight speratic idle at times to keep up with itself. Try running a search on the subject, it may be hard to find exact data on the subject, but I know it's been discussed befor.

Users who are viewing this thread