Cleaning headlights without scratching?

04MC

Established Member
Well since I put my HID kit on I noticed some surface scratches/swirls all over my headlights. Not too bad, but with the HID kit on now doesn't really look right ....

Any SAFE way of trying to remove them or will it just make it worse?

Last edited:

CAL2

DIG A HOLE!
Established Member
Meguair's PlastX $6. Not permanet, but looks just as good as my friend's $35 kit that only lasts him 2 washes.

Jim D.

Established Member
I don't know why PlastX wouldn't be "permanent" ... while it does seem to be a milder polish than Mothers Plastic Polish, maybe you mean its "protection" doesn't stand up to washing or environmental hazards?

I've had good luck with the Mothers on a PowerBall Mini on heavily oxidized lenses.

Make sure you have sound car washing and drying techniques... that could be a source of the problems.

04MC

Established Member
I guess mine got some swirls/surface marks when I waxed it, but I used a clean micro fiber rag. So you guys sure the Meguiars PlastX won't put more marks on the lens? I am talking about minimal surface marks ...

Jim D.

Established Member
Scratches happen, and you often notice them during washing or waxing (i.e., using a cleaner wax) -- though those activities are not necessarily the cause, that's when you notice such things.

Clear plastics can be tricky to remove scratches, so try a plastic polish and follow the directions.

Users who are viewing this thread