Cleaning Fuel Injectors?

jliddle

Established Member
I have recently begun the top-end ( minus the heads) teardown of my truck pictured in my avatar. I pulled my fuel rails/injectors today and notice the injectors were HORRIBLY dirty.

I have read about flow testing/rebuilding of injectors. But I am not sure of how expensive that is, or if its even necessary in this case.

Is there another way to clean them?

Thanks.

oilwell1415

Established Member
Call Linder Technical Service and see what they can do for you. If it's something they mess with they will probably have a new or freshly rebuilt set on the shelf you can get on exchange.

jliddle

Established Member
Theyre site shows injectors priced 39.95/each then add on a $10 core. Thanks but thats a little pricey for this particular job.

And I dont really want to ship them out anywhere to have them cleaned.

Being I have ordered a complete gasket kit ( which comes with new injector o-rings ) would it be safe to clean them up in a standard parts washer?

Or maybe some starting fluid?

oilwell1415

Established Member
You're wasting your time to do anything with them. The deposits that cause problems are in places you can't get to. You can knock the big chunks off the outside and reinstall them, but that will just make you feel better.

$40 each isn't bad for injectors.

jliddle

Established Member
Ok thanks. This isnt a project I want to dump all kinds of money into. Just fixing a coolant leak that required alot of disassembly to even access the faulty part. But as with any project its like opening a can of worms...

Wasnt sure if you could submerse them in anything to help break down the junk built up inside.

Krwy

Established Member
I've cleaned my own. Get a piece of the injector harness from the wrecking yard, and add a foot or so onto the harness and attach that to your battery to open the injector. I got a foot of fuel line. Placed that over the top side of the injector, filled the line with lacquer thinner, then used the air gun to force the thinner thru, repeated the step until the injector spray pattern cleaned up.

Users who are viewing this thread