Cleaning foam pads, and microfibers??

Hollywoood

Protected by GLOCK...
Established Member
Are there any household products that I can use to clean my foam pads, and my microfiber towels?? I will order some of the specific cleaners, so I am just looking for something to get me by..
Thanks! :)

STG

Banned
I've been cleaning my Meguiar's 8006 and 9006 pads in the kitchen sink for years with no ill effects. I fill the sink 1/4 with warm water and place a pad into the water. I press the pad down flat against the sink bottom and release. I then repeat this several times, changing the water a few times. I use dish washing soap followed by clear water.

Polishes like Meguiar's #80, #82 and #83 are easy to get out of the pads. Waxes and sealants are tougher. I let the pads soak in soapy warm water first, then follow the above procedure. Waxes and sealant take more "cycles" in the sink.

Be sure to press the pads against a flat surface, do not wring them out like a towel.

Meguiar's never recommended cleaning these pads because some people experienced separation of the fabric backing that attaches to the PC back plate. I have pads that are 5 years old with no separation issues. The new Meguiar's pads have an improved fabric backing that's rated for cleaning.

I wash my microfiber towels in the washing machine with regular laundry detergent in warm water. I only use microfibers to remove wax, so they never get really dirty. I use cotton terry cloth shop towels for dirtier jobs like cleaniong wheels and launder them separately in hot water with laundry detergent and bleach. I normally run a seconnd, short cycle in cold water with laundry detergent to remove any bleach from the towels.

Last edited:

HandoZiZle

WHIPPLE INSIDE
Established Member
You can get some pad cleaners from detailedimage.com. I just dip mine in warm water several times, wrap it with a towel and step on it a bunch, and i attach it to the PC and let it run for about 3 minutes on high in the end.

You can just use regular detergents for your microfibers. Just don't use any fabric softener for it.

jlightning347

Jimmy Lightning
Established Member
How to Wash Microfiber Towels

First off, you only want to wash them in COLD water. DO NOT use a lot of soap. My towels never get very dirty or greasy because they are only used to wipe polish or wax from the car, thus I can use a gentle detergent like Woolite. You don't want to use the hash detergents like the stuff you use on your regular clothing. If your towels are a little dirtier than normal, let them soak in the washing machine overnight. Simply add the proper amount of Woolite to the washer, add the towels and fill the washer to the proper level. Use the gentle cycle to wash these towels. Allow the wash cycle to begin for 1 minute so that the Woolite has a chance to mix with the towels and then shut the washer down. Let it sit for as long as necessary (overnight if that's what you need, shorter times for towels not as bad), and then start the washer back up later.

DO NOT use any fabric softener of any kind! Do not use too much Woolite! Read the bottle, a little goes a long way. If 1x is good, 2x is worse in this case. Also NEVER. EVER, EVER wash these towels with any other article of clothing, especially bath towels and wash clothes. That will ruin them too.

After the wash, DO NOT DRY THEM IN A DRYER USING HIGH HEAT!!! (if you do, you may as well use them to check the oil because they are useless at that point). I don't use a dryer at all. I allow them to air dry. String up a clothes line in your garage or outside somewhere and buy some clothes pins (if you can find some, that's some old school equipment right there!). If fabric sheets are used with these towels, it will destroy them. That will cause them to start scratching the crap out of your car. Drying them in the dryer with too much heat will do the same thing, that why I tell guys never to machine dry them.

If you follow these rules, your towels will keep the consistency and softness that they had from day one.

Last edited:

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I use Cobra pad/MF cleaner. It's easy to use and doesn't cause the glue on the pad/velcro to loosen up. Repeated use of the heavier detergents and dish soaps will eventually break down the glue and the pads will be useless. It can be a real bummer if the pad flys off while in use, the pad backer is not exactly a good buffing material and if your not ready for it, it can cause some really significant damage.
I use warm water with half a bag of Cobra cleaner and then cool water to rinse them when I'm done. Then they hang dry in my basement. I can usually clean two pads and 5 or 6 MF's with half a pouch of Cobra cleaner in about 15 to 20 minutes.

bradstang

Established Member
wash your foampad after finished with the hose, put it back on the buffer and sling it dry on the buffer, they will look like new forever, ive had the same 2 gray/blackfoam pads 3m's for over 2-1/2 years and still going used hundreds of times. soak the microfibers in a bucket for a day with a little soap then squeeze them out and put in the washer and then air dry them.

Users who are viewing this thread