cleaning and maintaining polished peices

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
i have polished door handles, polished cup holders and a polished shifter ring. i'm wondering what is the best way to keep these peices clean? they scratch very easily and i would like to keep them nice for as long as possible. thanks for the help.

DSCN1735.jpg

DSCN1819.jpg

DSCN1820.jpg

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
how can i get out those tiny hairline scratches that i've already got in them? the paper i got with the peices said to use isopropyl alcohol to remove the finger prints and stuff. it's just that these peices weren't cheap and they need to last me a while.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Either of the 2 polishes we mentioned will get rid of tiny hairline scratches from 'normal' use so long as it's nothing deep.

Adam's will really bring the shine back, I'd start with it.

Mother's Billet has a little more cut to it, but isn't *quite* as shiny/lustrous as Adam's and yes, there is a noticeable difference between the 2.

Use a soft microfiber to buff with and remove residue to minimize the hairline scratches.

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
thanks. i use the turtle wax ice microfiber. they work pretty good. i'll order the adam's probably. i spent enough on the peices, i might as well take care of them properly.

Jim D.

Established Member
I have a hard time thinking the Adams is a finer polish than the Mothers Billet, though I haven't tried the Adams, I just know the Billet is good stuff.

You do need to polish with light pressure as you finish, and use a good quality microfiber. You can also dab a little on your finger and try that -- wear a nitrile glove. Wipe gently with a good microfiber to remove the black residue.

Any time you have a heavier scratch, you'll want to try more pressure initially, though you may have to go with a coarser polish like Mag & Aluminum Polish, then finish with a finer polish like Billet.

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
i hope i don't end up fu**ing these peices up. i should have just got brushed instead of polished.:nonono:

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I have a hard time thinking the Adams is a finer polish than the Mothers Billet, though I haven't tried the Adams, I just know the Billet is good stuff.

You do need to polish with light pressure as you finish, and use a good quality microfiber. You can also dab a little on your finger and try that -- wear a nitrile glove. Wipe gently with a good microfiber to remove the black residue.

Any time you have a heavier scratch, you'll want to try more pressure initially, though you may have to go with a coarser polish like Mag & Aluminum Polish, then finish with a finer polish like Billet.

Adam's old 1-2 setup blows Mother's Billet in the weeds on finely polished metals. Think liquefied jeweler's rouge. It has a noticeably brighter final-finish to it and doesn't have the halo/hairline superfine scratches that Mother's Billet consistently leaves on certain alloys.

On stainless (like exhaust tips) yeah; pretty much anything works.

But on aluminum you need something even finer.

04 Sleeper uses the Adam's on his wheels; I had a set of IForged Seneka's before that were fully polished. EVERYTHING scratched them, it was ridiculous; which is when I started searching and found the wonders of Adam's.

Of course there are other viable options, but Adam's is reasonably priced and works really well/super easy to use, etc. etc.

Users who are viewing this thread