Cleaned my nasty Intercooler- pics!

MoneyPit

Busted windshield mod
Established Member
This is my I/C after 24k miles. I didn't expect it to be that bad, but bad it was indeed. I added an L&S oil sep about 3k miles ago, so I'm hoping next time I do this it won't be nearly as cruddy.

To clean it, I used a small bristle brush and one of the greatest inventions known to mankind.... brake cleaner. Anyway, I'll be picking up my ported eaton tonight from Bill. More pics to come! :rockon:
-Matt

before
IC-1.jpg

IC-2.jpg

after
IC-3.jpg

IC-4.jpg

ChronicReign

Chrome bumper your face!
Established Member
Damn! Everytime I see pics like this it reminds me that I need to get off my @ss and get this done.

CuZzO99L

BLACK SUNSHINE
Established Member
AWWWW!!! Man I bet Im loosin out so much. my truck has 60k Ima wait till i have a ported blower 2 stick on after.

MixMaker

I've got a fever!!
Established Member
I bet mine needs it so bad. But I can't seem to find the motivation. :shrug:

MoneyPit

Busted windshield mod
Established Member
MachineAddict said:
I bet mine needs it so bad. But I can't seem to find the motivation. :shrug:

Man, I was the same way. I kept putting it off, but I'm glad I got it done. The hardest part was getting the 4 rear bolts off the IC plenum. I recommend having some beer handy. It's an essential tool to have while wrenching.

:beer:

CHIZ

GeoMetros worse nightmare
Established Member
lol, carb cleaner was the only thing that would crank my buddy's car for the first time after we installed the new engine.

Ryan, did you guys get the intercooler in?

chiz

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
wow...I just hit 18k on my 04 L but I dropped in a JLT PCV filter and my C&L elbow has been friggin spotless so far!! I havent had one bit of oil seep thru that I can tell!!
ill clean the IC later on...but right now I dont think its really needed...yet

fuelonempty

حمدالله على نعمة العقل...
Established Member
ahh man, that looks terrible.. Again it reminds me too that I need to get in there... but damn it, I am waaaay to lazy

Rgig

Established Member
Just did mine at 106k miles for my 01. I didn't take pictures but it would make your before shots look good. My truck was running fine but I had to change the rear PVC line off the bottom of the rear lower intake (a real PIA to get to).

Added an oil sep too just for good measure.

2 gallons of Super Clean did the job for me.

LtnRyder

03 636 as well
Established Member
LOL mine looked pretty similiar, lil worse but I had more miles when I did it. YES those 4 bolts are a bia! I have a scare on my knuckle from hittin that damn hose clamp breakin one of those bolts loose.

Rgig

Established Member
I guess the other thing to keep in mind is how darn sharp the edges of the intake is. I still have scratches all over me. I did finally wise up and placed a rag over the back of the manifold when I replaced the PCV hose.

inuswo

Hopeless SVT Fan
Established Member
Just had a shop do mine, yeah im pretty lazy and it was financially smarter for me to just let them handle all the dirty work. 367$ for parts and labor, a family friend mechanic did : installed the TR6's, ran a chem through the fuel rail to clean the bottom half of the engine out, manually cleaned the TB/Plenum/Supercharger and Blades/Intercooler/Lower Intake Manifold, Changed the Fuel Filter, Flushed the coolant system and restored it, Oil Change w/ Motocraft's Synthetic, and he came and picked it up from my house/gunna deliver it back tomorrow.

Actually he'll probably work on it tomorrow, I should get him to take pictures of a 99L at 97000 miles. I originally got into this because the EGR was throwing a check engine light (that later went off on its own), so I asked him to check it out and we just got buried in doing things to clean the motor out. So I'd imagine mine is gunna be pretty nasty under there.

Users who are viewing this thread