clay bar over orange peel

Venom04

Established Member
I recently clayed some problem spots on my black 04 cobra that has some orange peel hear and there. When done claying the areas where orange peel it kinda dulled the high points of the paint like almost spotted over the orange peel. Is this normal and will it come out with some polish/wax? It's not horrible looking or anything like that but just wondering if claying will minimize the orange peel look to a certain extent? by the way it's the first time i've clayed this car.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Its more likely that you didn't have enough lube on the clay and you're actually seeing some shadow transfer from the clay.

There is actually a clay-film on the high spots.

Use more lube next time. For now, you can either wipe the car down with a quick detailer, or just wash it and it will come off.

Claying really doesn't do anything for laying the OP down. It just picks up surface contaminants.

42RCODE

To Many Toys !
Established Member
Orange Peel

If you really want to remove orange peel you will have to wet sand.

Fred :beer:

CantDrv55

Banned
42RCODE said:
If you really want to remove orange peel you will have to wet sand.

Fred :beer:
Exactly. It takes some time to do it right, but the results are great.

Venom04

Established Member
that's what i thought I did just a little marring. I'll throw some polish on it and get it out.

I know you have to wet sand to get rid of the OP just wanted to know if claying would reduce the appearance of it at all.

SSSLAV8

Established Member
Sorry to sound ignorant, but what is orange peel? I recently purchased a black 99 cobra with alot of swirl marks and I just purchased a pc & some products form Scott. I'm trying to learn all the secrets to make it shine. Thanks

Jim D.

Established Member
SALIV8 said:
Sorry to sound ignorant, but what is orange peel? I recently purchased a black 99 cobra with alot of swirl marks and I just purchased a pc & some products form Scott. I'm trying to learn all the secrets to make it shine. Thanks

Orange Peel is a special, no-cost feature on many of today's cars... it's a side effect of modern robotic painting technologies. Manufacturers also like to be sure there's plenty of it on large SUVs as it masks imperfections in expansive body panels.

It basically means that the paint has the texture of an orange... slight bumps which can sometimes be removed if you wet sand, but unless you know what you're doing you can go all the way through the clearcoat and create all kinds of problems.

I pretty much consider them to add character to the paint.

When you get a car custom-painted ($15-40K), they will wet-sand between coats and there generally isn't any orange peel for this reason... instead, it's glass smooth.

When addressing your spiderwebbing and/or swirl marks, you'll likely lose some of the orange peel you might have by using a cutting pad in the process.

ROADKILL

Established Member
Jim D. said:
Orange Peel is a special, no-cost feature on many of today's cars... it's a side effect of modern robotic painting technologies. Manufacturers also like to be sure there's plenty of it on large SUVs as it masks imperfections in expansive body panels.

It basically means that the paint has the texture of an orange... slight bumps which can sometimes be removed if you wet sand, but unless you know what you're doing you can go all the way through the clearcoat and create all kinds of problems.

I pretty much consider them to add character to the paint.

When you get a car custom-painted ($15-40K), they will wet-sand between coats and there generally isn't any orange peel for this reason... instead, it's glass smooth.

I think what you are talking about is "nibs" in the paint. Those are removed by wetsanding between coats. Orange peel is not so much a texture as it is a kind of wavyness in the paint if you will. Orange peel is also removed by CAREFUL wetsanding. If you go through the clear (which is easy to do) then you are in a world of shit. You would then have to have the panel scuffed and re-cleared.

crizzut

Established Member
I've heard a couple different ideas on this subject, but has anyone had their cobras wetsanded? I want to have mine done, but I've heard that the clearcoats are too thin to work with. Is that true?

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
crizzut said:
I've heard a couple different ideas on this subject, but has anyone had their cobras wetsanded? I want to have mine done, but I've heard that the clearcoats are too thin to work with. Is that true?

I believe that this is true. HISSMAN wet sanded his car & they dug in way too deep in some areas & around some corners of the car. He ended up getting the whole car repainted after they ruined it... ! :(

SVECobraR

Established Member
if you burn through the clear with wetsanding or buffing you can't just scuff it and re clear it, it will take a repaint of that panel, the paint turns dull through out and adding clear won't bring that back.

Venom04

Established Member
Thanks Casper for the input kinda got off topic a little bit there. I'm guessing you used a PC for that? I'm going to be picking one up soon.

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
Venom04 said:
Thanks Casper for the input kinda got off topic a little bit there. I'm guessing you used a PC for that? I'm going to be picking one up soon.

yea....I've got a PC...and love the damn thing. Can't believe I didn't buy one sooner....such an investment. :thumbsup:

Venom04

Established Member
I think what he meant was it improved the appearance of orange peel or dulled the look of orange peel however you would say that. LOL

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
Venom04 said:
I think what he meant was it improved the appearance of orange peel or dulled the look of orange peel however you would say that. LOL

I didn't know you could do that but that is interesting to hear. I would much rather do this to the orange peel on my car. Anything is better then wetsading... :(

Venom04

Established Member
I'm waiting for my new PC and some poorboys stuff. I'll try and post before and after pics so you can see what happens with the OP and swirls and what not.

Users who are viewing this thread