Classic 'Stang fans??

Nazgul

Black Rider
Established Member
Is anyone here into the classics? I have a '69 GT Sports roof (fas'back). I don't do much with or to it since its in need of a total restoration, meanwhile I spend my time on the Lightning forums (2001 Black).

But, occasionally I like to read about the oldies, where to find resto parts, resto shops, good body/paint shops, etc. etc.

I am collecting parts and info as I go. This is to be my 'retirement project' (2-3 years away).

The '69 has the GT package, Interior Decor group, Exterior Decor Grp, power front discs, factory air conditioning (missing), console (was missing-refurb'd one obtained), fold-down rear seat, Mach 1 hood scoop, and is powered by a 351W/4v with an FMX trans that will be replaced by a T-5. Rear end is 9" posi. Everything needs to be rebuilt, recovered, repainted or replaced. But I want to tackle this project since it came with all the above options from the factory.

Any fellow-classic lovers who have any info or constructive suggestions or just want to shoot the breeze would be appreciated.

Paul

fangstang

Established Member
I absolutely love classic mustangs! I'm trying to get one for myself. My first choice would be a street driven '68 fastback Bullit replica, w/ atleast a 302 in it. I dont want a show car, just a real nice street car to cruise in. But I love them all!

SNCBOOM

Established Member
I absolutely love the older stangs :thumbsup: although not too crazy about the mustang II.....

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
Nope. Old cars are like old computers. Expendable FRUs (field replaceable units)...

hj16

Established Member
Classic Stangs are the best. I'd kill to have a Mach 1 428CJ, Boss 429, or a Shelby GT500KR. Maybe one day in the future?

Good Luck with your project.

Poseidon

You want some?
Established Member
a friend and I did a lot of work on a 69 Mustang Grande. We were upgrading it more than re-doing it though.

MightyMo

Established Member
leave it bone stock, worth a lot more..
modified the heck out of mine, body wasn't straight when I bought it, plane jane mustang with no options, has some minor damage
not a collecter

Your car is very collectible! document everything and do it by the numbers, pictures too.. imagine selling a bone stock 69 GT sportsroof that just won the MCA concourse class five times, five years in a row and has been retired by the Mustang Club of America.
imagine its worth with a history like that.. its not impossible
you could ask restored Shelby prices for a car like that
or modify the heck out of it and drive it like you stole it..

SNCBOOM

Established Member
WOW! great color combo :thumbsup: What color blue is that?

MightyMo

Established Member
car is on its second resto and being modified I'll never get close to what I put in her..

dakota digital guages
dual carbs
jet hot coated, POR 15 and powder coated everything
stainless steel hardware everywhere
took out the rear seat, added 4wheel disc brakes, stainless steel 3" exhaust(polished)
fuel cell
big stereo
msd ignition with 6AL box
9" traction lock with eight coats of hand polished black lacquer
rebuilt front end using shelby mods
be cool aluminum radiator $1200
4spd toploader with fly cut gears
front facia was hand made by Maier Racing in California, waited 4 months to get it in South Carolina and so did the body man
replaced every body panel with either fiberglass or something a little less dented
car is on its second resto, major mods being done right now, just installed the radiator with twin electric fans tonight.
and the list goes on..
next? Plumbing, all the fittings any man would ever need
Flaming River steering column and steering box
Aluminum driveshaft

Oh I forgot..
Why the heck am I doing this? Had high hopes of doing the Hot Rod Mag Power Tour or maybe win an ISCA show..
I think that when its done, its going up for sale.

Nazgul

Black Rider
Established Member
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I plan to restore the interior to stock, and the body to stock, except the color. It came Lime Gold from the factory :xpl: .

I was thinking of factory Candy Apple Red, but there are so many '69's & '70's that color out there. Then I found 2003 Ford 'French Blue.' (no, it does not come with runs in it!--French joke) Kind of a medium blue with a little purple in it.

The engine, trans, & suspension will be modified. That can all be made stock again easily. I hope to stroke the 351W to 390-4xx". Maybe fuel injection. Maybe blower. The FMX will go into storage and I plan to replace it with a T5 or Tremec. The stock rear end/posi will just get rebuilt. I don't know what rear gears are in it, but it will end up with around 3.73's.

MustangScotty--your car looks great! I can't wait 'til mine gets done. But I don't want to miss the fun of doing it, either.

I am slowly collecting parts while I work on my other projects. I just found a set of 5 stock chrome GT/Mach 1 wheels, with trim rings, hub caps, and tires (including the original Polyglas spare), and a pair of factory racing mirrors. I already have a refurbished console I got from Perogie. Slowly but surely.

Anyone know where I can get replacement dash panels? Mine are plain black camera-case style. The clock is rectangular instead of round. That side is cracked. I don't want the woodgrained Mach 1 style--just want to keep it stock.

Thanks again.

Paul :beer:

Last edited:

98cobrancali

the mustang man
Established Member
i got a 69 mach 1, needs a lot of work, body, interior, front end, I got it with no engine, put a 429 with a torquer cam and manifold, speed demon 750 double pumper, custom longtubes, and a rebuilt c6 with stall converter and shift kit, so it runs good but I dont drive it cause the front end is all messed up, I dont work on it either cause I have been spending my money on the Cobra, but I want to make a drager out of it

232393_7_full.jpg

232393_12_full.jpg

SVTour99

Up and Coming SVT Poster
Established Member
I have a 66 mustang vert w/ a 200 six. probably one of the best shops I've seen is KAR Mustang in columbus. and i'm not biased or anything just cuz I live like 20 minutes away. but they have a large retail store with NOS and repop, basically what ever your budget will allow. and they have a large shop where they do partial restos, full resto, engine rebuild, etc. kind of expensive but you won't find better work anywhere.

Nazgul

Black Rider
Established Member
98cobrancali,

How hard was it to fit the 429 between the shock towers??

I'm going to keep my 351W, but I'll have it stroked to around 400. You have the same body I do, same hood scoop etc. I considered changing to the shaker hood, but too costly. Besides, our scoop looks pretty good as is.

My friend with a 97 Saleen wants me to build the '69 for the road courses we run. (I'm currently running my Lightning). But I think I will build it as a restomod semi-show car. If it gets on the track, all the better. But I want to be able to use it as a daily driver if I need to.

SVTour99: Columbus is a little far for me, being in the SF Bay Area. But KAR sounds like a great place. I wish I knew of one like it around here.

Thanks guys for the comments and pictures. I'll post pics if I ever get a digital camera or figure out how to get my new scanner going.

Paul :beer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread