Classic Car Insurance question: Grundy or American Classic Car Insurance

Spiney

Established Member
I'm going to switch to classic car insurance before I take our 96 SVT Cobra back out on the road. My main reason is agreed value. My current insurer State Farm won't do agreed value.
I've been in talks with both and would like to sign the papers on Monday. I don't want to take the car out until I switch because my luck if I do, it will get totaled and State Farm will give me $7k for it.

My first choice would probably be Haggerty, but they won't insure my car because my DD is an old pickup truck. We also have a 2012 Fusion. Grundy and ACI will both insure me. Price difference is within $60 a year. ACI has a 5000 mile a year limit, Grundy is unlimited as long as it's going to shows, on cruises etc. Good for if I'd ever do the Hot Rod power tour or the Mustang Round Up. We usually put less than 4000 a year on the car anyway because we are limited because of a Cat Less exhaust.

So I'd like to hear your feedback as to which insurer you'd go with of these 2.

Thanks, Dave

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I have grundy, and just recently raised my agreed value from 24k to 28k on my 2003 cobra. Took maybe 5 minutes on the phone to have my agreed value raised. So far I don't have any complaints. In reality knowing how good or bad a insurance company really is, is after you submit a claim. Something most of us would dread.

ibleedblue65

Established Member
Go with Haggerty avoid Grundy.

He said hagerty will not insure him. I had the same problem when I was looking. Hagerty has a stipulation about your daily driver that it has to be newer than 5 years old or something. I daily a second gen sho

Woody6799

Established Member
I have ACI, just make sure you read their coverage carefully. You car is for pleasure cruises... which does not include a pleasure cruise to work, or wal mart so if you get hit there you have no claim. Just be warned.

Spiney

Established Member
I think with all of them the stipulation is for shows or pleasure cruises. No errands is what the say. My car wouldn't set foot in a Walmart parking lot unless there was a show there.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Grundy is very limiting on how you can use your vehicle is the main down side I know of

Well here's the lastest info I found regarding grundy. This person works for grundy from what I gathered. It's all about leisure driving. I never use my car for anything else. Why would I want to throw a gallon of milk in my nice car lol. Hell I don't even drink bottled water in it.

http://www.myclassiccar.com/pdf/Youarereallyinsured.pdf

Last edited:

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
Some people are more fanatical than myself, I love to cruise out and go dui car shows however most of my cars use is going on quick errands to pick up small odds and ends

Spiney

Established Member
Reading the letter from Grundy, I don't find that very limiting. Our Cobra is strictly a sunny day, weekend, cruise, show, fun car. We never use it as a DD. I keep it away from parking lots where I'm likely to get it scratched or dented. We are already limited miles wise because we are emission exempt here in PA because of no cats. The cost of the insurance is less than 1/2 what I pay now from State Farm. And if god forbid it was totaled under State Farm I may get $7-8K. With Grundy or ACI agreed value we would get $15K, enough to buy another nice Mustang. They didn't blink when I said $15K, they just want to see pictures and know it's garage kept and adult driven. The only limit and it would be the same with almost any insurance company is if I wrecked at a Drag Race or Auto Cross. Then your SOL.

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
I have Grundy but I did have a long conversation with a worker there about all the limitations. She told me no errands, no work, don't leave the car unattended in any parking lot unless it's show, it's almost scary limited. For instance, she said if I stop by the gas station and get hit, save the receipt to show proof I just went in to buy a drink. However, the cobra is covered for 25K at only $300 a yr...you just gotta follow all the rules. Might switch back to State Farm not sure if all those limitations are worth it IMO. What are the chances but that's always in back of my mind.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I have Grundy but I did have a long conversation with a worker there about all the limitations. She told me no errands, no work, don't leave the car unattended in any parking lot unless it's show, it's almost scary limited. For instance, she said if I stop by the gas station and get hit, save the receipt to show proof I just went in to buy a drink. However, the cobra is covered for 25K at only $300 a yr...you just gotta follow all the rules. Might switch back to State Farm not sure if all those limitations are worth it IMO. What are the chances but that's always in back of my mind.

I hear where your coming from. The only reason I stop at a gas station in the cobra is to in fact get gas! The agreed value is a big thing for me. Once in awhile I'll be in a hangout lot with other car enthusiasts and their cars. Other than than I'm leisure driving! I have American Family on my other vehicles, but they wouldn't come close to the value grundy has my car at.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member

i know it doesnt apply to the OP bc of his DD but thats why I have Hagerty. I like to drive my car to work on a nice Saturday when I only have to come in for a few hours, I like to go out to dinner and catch a movie, god forbid we need to grab something from Publix while we're out and get hit. Hagerty says you will not FREQUENTLY use your vehicle to go to and from work, run errands etc...

Users who are viewing this thread