Classic car guys- insurance?

RustyRodder

Fauxbra powered
Established Member
Heres one for you guys-

Trying to find better insurance for at least one of my cars. Nobody will touch the mustang (Despite the fact its limited use and heavily modified, its still a base model), but Id like to get something better for my 88 Comanche. A friends was totaled with standard insurance, and what he got would barely cover the paintjob.

Who do you all recommend for classic insurance that, if in an accident, will treat it like a classic and not a beater truck? The only catch is it is not garaged- a dealbreaker for most companies I have looked into. I hate the idea of having a fender hit, and the insurance company write it off.

Obligatory in-progress paint pic-
image0000001_4_zps5ad98onk.jpg

4a7191a

Established Member
Hagerty said it had to garaged or in a barn , covered essentially from the elements.
When they asked what was done to the vehicles modification wise I fibbed a tad.
Told them long tubes , intake and bolt on.

sleek98

Established Member
I used berkly insurance. Rear ended a Tahoe when going to Costco in my 1969. Tahoe panic stopped and my 4 wheel drums couldn't keep up.

Paid out 12,000 to rebuild it. Cost 145 to insure it that year and 165 to insure it the next.

manystangs

SVT Poster
Established Member
As you stated I believe the car not being garaged will be a deal breaker. I use Grundy on my 65 Mustang and 99 Cobra, but both are limited use and garaged. I have been happy to date, however I have not had to make any claims (fortunately). They were the most flexible of the companies I looked into.

dom418

Established Member
There are many collector car insurances out there with an agreed upon value. Barrett Jackson, Grundy, Haggerty.

Everyone gives these companies good reviews but I have yet to see some tell us their experience when filing a claim. I know with Grundy for example your only covered going to and from a car event. Dinner with the wife would not be covered so read the fine print. Remember it's not until you have a claim that you find out the type of company you are dealing with.

I would trust the higher end guys like Hagerty vs the ultra cheap guys like Grundy

snakedoctor

Established Member
I used Grundy on my cobra for the past 5 years until it was time to renew a few months ago. I started looking at the fine print and they won't cover it if you are running errands, if it's parked at Walmart, or if you take it to the gym. Basically they just cover it while it sits in the garage and if you take it to a car show. I mainly drive mine to the gym and maybe to pick up some things from the store, couldn't chance it so I went back with my regular policy.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Stay away from Hagerty. They are idiots who will screw you any way they can. They screwed my Dad so badly that our agent pulled all his customers out of Hagerty and moved them to another provider. Now I use a company called Infinity. Agreed value policy - my mods are disclosed - and relatively inexpensive. It is definitely a limited use policy but for me that's not a big problem. I'm pretty sure being garaged is a requirement though.

Recon

Established Member
Only thing I don't like about Hagerty is they don't give you the option to buy back your car if something happens.

Sent from somewhere in the Twilight Zone.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
i use American Collector Car. already had to file a claim once and it was no problem. they didnt even ask where i was headed to in the car or anything. just like filing a regular claim.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
As others have pointed out, anything in the declared value segment is pretty much going to be a no-go without the pickup being garaged.

I carry standard insurance on my '69 bird for a couple reasons. First I want to be able to use this car in any way I deem fit. lastly, I want to have road-side assistance with it. While it's pretty reliable currently, it's still nearing 50 years old.

I have it insured through State Farm and while it's not a agreed value policy, the car had an appraisal and it has modification riders for the drivetrain and suspension. If something happens, I'll get out of it what it's worth (about 20k) but that will not cover the ground up build of another 1969 Firebird. But to be able to utilize the car as I want to, it's a risk I have to take.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I haven't been able to find a company that will cover a car that isn't garaged.

Not to mention, occasionally cars like that are harder to find agreed/guaranteed value policies on.

RustyRodder

Fauxbra powered
Established Member
Looks like I may have to find a garage to borrow. I'd rather this be garaged than the mustang, as hard as that is to say. Looking at whats out there, to replace the truck with one in the same condition would be 5-6k alone. Not much compared to the 69, but a lot more then the 2xxx the KBB has it at.

We need pics of the Comanche

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heres a few. I didnt take much since it pretty much went right to paint. Drivelines been checked, as has the suspension. Interior is next- needs headliner, seat reupholstered, and carpet. But its all original metal with the right options, never wrecked or rusted.

IMAG0266_zpsowyuyhue.jpg

imagejpeg950_zpseqshmyr4.jpg

20160418_2317071_2_zpsktxa1rgf.jpg

IMAG1918_zpsim1p7csc.jpg

IMAG2118_zpsdol3n6ij.jpg

image0000001_5_zpsxjjboes7.jpg

oldmodman

Established Member
And be aware of how important terminology is in an insurance policy.
The most important thing to be sure of before signing is to understand the differences between "Agreed Value", and "Declared value".
I will not go into the specifics because I am not an attorney.

But as I have had it explained to me (and this could be totally wrong) One is to determine what you will be paying for your coverage, and the other lets the insurance company know what the maximum they might have to pay is.
I actually brought one of my insurance policies to my attorney to be absolutely sure I knew what it was going to pay for in the event of a loss.

Mine had "Replacement Cost" as a base since I was insuring currently available broadcast video equipment, not a car.
But a lot of the same terminology carries over. Just realize going in that nothing means what you think it might. Talk to an attorney that handles business law.

And since the value of used technology went down every year, so did my premium. The insurance company did not like that one bit.

Blown 89

Established Member
I went through American Family for my continental. It was cheaper to add it to an already existing plan and they had a pretty good collector cal policy already in place. All I had to do was have it appraised which was surprisingly fair. I thought for sure that was where I was going to get screwed.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
This spring I will be taking my 92 GT to SF to be appraised and go that route. Like stated above I like to be able to drive my cars when I want I don't drive them much. But if I wanna run errands I want to be covered.

cbj5259

Established Member
Hagerty are rip off artists. Routinely the highest quote I get. When I put the Viper on collector car insurance I got a quote of $2100.00 per year. I have zero accidents on my record, am 41 years old, married and a homeowner. The car is my 4th car and sits in a garage. Heacock came in somewhat more reasonable at "$1050.00 a year but with a mileage restriction. Grundy blew everyone else away... $680.00 a year and no mileage requirement, agreed value and zero deductible. Needless to say I am with Grundy and very happy. I have gotten quotes from Hagerty on other cars I've owned and they are always ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Lzr96Snake

burning up in speed
Established Member
I've had Grundy on my Cobra for a couple of years now and have been happy with them. Used them on my Falcon for years prior to that.

CobraVenom01

Established Member
Premium Member
Wow truck is clean , awesome I love Comanches. I have an 86 that my grandfather ordered new in 1986. 93k on it. I'm doing a 5.3 swap with a 4L60e, truck is my baby I grew up with it.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Wow truck is clean , awesome I love Comanches. I have an 86 that my grandfather ordered new in 1986. 93k on it. I'm doing a 5.3 swap with a 4L60e, truck is my baby I grew up with it.

Sounds like a cool project start a pics and vid thread.

Users who are viewing this thread