Classaction Suit Against Ford

Bigg Slimm

Established Member
I know awhile back someone on the board was suing Ford over not warrantying their vehicle but i can't find the thread since the search function is down. Does anyone know who that person is, and if so, can they point me in their direction or them in mine?

Here's my issue with Ford in the following thread
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=91285

The zone manager is suppose to come look at the car tomorrow and give me a call back. If he doesn't change his decision then i have to prepare myself to proceed. So i would like to talk with someone who may have experience in this type of situation and what was there outcome.

Also, if people could post problems they have had with their car, year, #miles, and the reason why they voided your warranty i would greatly appreciate it. Also, TRANSMISSION ISSUES, warranty voided or not, would be greatly appreciated to show Ford that their are a fair # of people with transmission issues.

If anyone has any input or advice i would greatly appreciate it, as this is my first type of issue with a manufacturer "voiding a warranty"

Thanks to all.

1992B4C

Established Member
My transmission was replaced under warrenty at 3500 miles. Bad vibration in 3rd gear in the shifter handle was the cause of the replacement. No problems getting them to work on it.

You say they voided your warrenty based on tire wear. What was the difference front to rear by the way?

Last edited:

Bigg Slimm

Established Member
Originally posted by 1992B4C
My transmission was replaced under warrenty at 3500 miles. Bad vibration in 3rd gear in the shifter handle was the cause of the replacement. No problems getting them to work on it.

You say they voided your warrenty based on tire wear. What was the difference front to rear by the way?

9/32 in the front and 4/32 in the rear. I have 4200 miles on the car.

magstang1

C'mon say it man RAMROD!
Established Member
mine is in the shop right now getting the throwout bearing, and pressure plate warrantied at 18,000.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
How can they void your warranty due to tire wear? That's absurd.

If that's really the case, then I'm in deep sh!t. I have a defective tire on the rear that is real noisy up front, so I have never been able to rotate.

My rears are almost gone while the front ones look new.

torchred03

Established Member
My transmission, clutch, TOB, Pressure plate and flywheel replaced at 17,000. Took the car in for TOB sqeal 3 times prior dealer "couldn't" hear it. After TOB broke the input shaft sleeve he heard it. Him not fixing before coast Ford alott more. Anyway hope this helps add to your list.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Slimm... I posted a question for you over HERE at flatratetech.com. Keep an eye out for the replies. It's hard to find a better source for Ford information. There's lots of knowledgeable Ford dealership folks over there.

-Greg

scotto

Established Member
Just a little info for you bigslimm my buddy bought a 97 cobra brand new and with only 5000 miles on it the motor locked up because it was a little over 2 quarts low on oil, I dont know exactly why it was low but he didnt get warranty because of his tires being relatively bald. They said that he had abused the car and they didn't warranty his car. Also his car was bone stock down to the paper filter when this happened. FORDS WARRANTY ON THEIR CARS JUST PLAIN SUCKS

maddrabitt

Established Member
at about 21k miles my throwout bearing retainer broke along with my input shaft. warrantied out no problem

bond99

Established Member
Originally posted by NyteByte
How can they void your warranty due to tire wear? That's absurd.

If that's really the case, then I'm in deep sh!t. I have a defective tire on the rear that is real noisy up front, so I have never been able to rotate.

My rears are almost gone while the front ones look new.

Nytebyte its possible, Ford voided my powertrain warantee for tred depth-I have a 5th gear that works when it want to. My car is 100% stock. So everyone out there who thinks they may have a transmission that may need replaced better get their tires looking new before they take it in.

Bigg Slimm

Established Member
Originally posted by Top_Fuel
Slimm... I posted a question for you over HERE at flatratetech.com. Keep an eye out for the replies. It's hard to find a better source for Ford information. There's lots of knowledgeable Ford dealership folks over there.

-Greg

Thanks for the post. I will keep an eye out.

vipergts281

Established Member
Ford replaced my transmission under warranty around the 16,500 mile mark.

My clutch was replaced, under warranty, just prior to that as well.

Good luck.

OKC03Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by magstang1
mine is in the shop right now getting the throwout bearing, and pressure plate warrantied at 18,000.

I will have mine back on Wednesday; 20,000 miles and I am getting a whole new transmission.

RedFire2003

Established Member
I had a simalar prob with my 98 SVT Contour bought the car used had it for 10 days and the tranny exploded! Had it towed to the dealer and they told me I was shit out of luck because the tires had wear and that they were new tires when they sold me the car. After dealing with them for about a week they still wouldnt do anything and I ended up paying for the tranny :( All because they say I spun the tires. So I guess all you have to do is spin the tires and things break and they wont fix them. Because thats abuse.

Bigg Slimm

Established Member
Has anyone here gone thru Ford's arbitration procedures, if so, with what kind of success?

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
You guys want to hear something funny. Pontiac replaced my wifes tires on her grand-am because enough people complained about them being noisy.

OLD FART

Established Member
I think it sucks that they voided your warranty. I work at a
dealership where Mustangs have come in with shoe polish
still on the windows, rubber gobbed up in the wheelwells, and
the trans case broken in pieces, and they still fixed it under
warranty. I think that the maintenance schedule doesn't even
call for a tire rotation until 5k miles. Theoretically, you have no
reason to even change oil yet (per mileage), so they have no
leg to stand on as far as lack of maintenance. I would take it to
a lawyer. Sometimes just the threat of legal action is enough
to make a dealership change it's mind.

Just remember when you meet the Ford rep-honey catches more
bees than vinegar. As pissed as you are (and rightfully so), it's
easy to lose your cool, and say the wrong thing (like "F**K you!")
Use your best poker face, keep your wits about you, and mention
the lawyer waiting in the wings. Also, find out who HIS boss is if
things don't go smoothly. I would definitely try to find that flyer
that was mentioned above with the Cobra doing a burnout. This
is a clear indication that Ford advocates driving the car hard and
doing burnouts.

Also, my car has 800 miles on it and I'm already at 2/32 difference
between the front and back, and my trans has the bad vibe in
3rd gear through the shifter handle. Sorry for the long
dissertation and good luck.

Bigg Slimm

Established Member
OLDFART, thanks for the advice. I know what you mean "kill them with kindness", but also, don't mistake my kindness for weakness. ;)

By wheel wells had NO RUBBER in them nor the under carriage. I have never sat and done a burnout, and yes I do have the literature right in front of me with the silver Cobra doing a burnout.

I most defenitely will mention the Attorney General and my attorney if things don't go as I hope for.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Swap tires, go do an appropriate burnout until tire depth is near even.

Voiding a warranty like that is like voiding a warranty for repacing the air filter with a non Motorcraft unit and trying to void it.

Users who are viewing this thread