Civil War: F-250 vs. Lightning

Dunn

Established Member
Was a fun night, My 2 buddies and I went to outback to eat, and my friend drank, so I took the keys and piloted his 05 F-250 SuperDuty with the Powerstroke V8. He has exhaust, air filter, and a Edge programming on the truck, and it HAULS. Best of a 14.08@94mph, cutting 1.80 60'ft. (low MPH due to still having the speedo limited to 95mph).

We left Outback and saw a Silver Lightning up ahead of us. We caught up to him, and gave him a little gas and a taste of the turbo. He sped back up and we agreed to find a place to run out in the middle of BFE.

We eventually got to a stoplight and I put it in 4x4 high and boosted it to about 12psi. I stopped a little before the line, while he started right at the line....kinda giving him a 1/2 car lead.

The light hits green, we launch it and shoot out of the hole, putting about 3-4 cars on him. We kept ahead of him until about 90, when he was YANKING on us, and unfortunately we hit traffic, and he had to slow down...had we kept going, he would have blown past us at 100mph.

If my buddy can get that speedo limiter off, it would have been real fun to stretch them out. The guy was cool as hell, and had a badass sounding lightning. mostly stock, except exhaust. :rockon:

NeverEndn

Established Member
Good kill man , i ve been waiting for something like this i have an 04 Harley with Mac CAI, Banks 4" turbo back exhaust, and Edge with the Attitude programmer and i've raced many different cars and trucks but i've been waiting to race my 04 Lightning but don't know who to trust to drive either one of my vehicles, it will happen one day, but your outcome seemed somewhat close of what i had in mind, i figured the Lightning would pull you top end , but as for 4X4 i've only done it a handfull of times , kinda worried about breaking something , i was told i won't but, and also as for turning the 4X4 off while driving i dont think it will let you untill you slow down if i'm correct. My best at the track is 13.90 this year, using 4X4 spooled it up to about 15psi, half tank of diesel, on BF Allterrains. 70degrees out.Do you know what year the Lightning was by any chance did it have clear tailights or not. Best in my Lightning is 13.63 on 22's. 60 degrees out. Stock except for full exhaust.That was last year no times yet this year.Expect the unexpected from these diesels.LOL

Dunn

Established Member
yeah man, I believe it was an 03 Lightning, but don't quote me on it. And yes, those F-250 drivetrains are bullet proof. We have launched that truck repeatedly and it has hooked and shot out time and time again, no problems.

I did forget to take it out of 4x4 through 2nd gear on the race, when they reminded me at about 50mph lol. So it was in 2wd for 1/2 of the race. I think the outcome would have been the same...he started to really yank uptop.

The Edge programmer was set on stage 4 of 5. the "racing" stage. He has yet to get the truck its 20 or so repeated runs on the level 5...the "extreme" stage. So right now, all it does is have the transmission search for the gears, at the highest level. If we had that level working, maybe the outcome would have been a little different, maybe he wouldnt have pulled on us as hard as he did.

NeverEndn

Established Member
Dunn said:
yeah man, I believe it was an 03 Lightning, but don't quote me on it. And yes, those F-250 drivetrains are bullet proof. We have launched that truck repeatedly and it has hooked and shot out time and time again, no problems.

I did forget to take it out of 4x4 through 2nd gear on the race, when they reminded me at about 50mph lol. So it was in 2wd for 1/2 of the race. I think the outcome would have been the same...he started to really yank uptop.

The Edge programmer was set on stage 4 of 5. the "racing" stage. He has yet to get the truck its 20 or so repeated runs on the level 5...the "extreme" stage. So right now, all it does is have the transmission search for the gears, at the highest level. If we had that level working, maybe the outcome would have been a little different, maybe he wouldnt have pulled on us as hard as he did.

Yah most of my races i usually race in level 4 also because from a stop level 5 sucks for shifting, sometimes i get a good shift but i use level 5 on the highway, but can you turn the 4X4 off while to the floor. Never really tried it.
I usually just leave it on at the track, let me know if you can will it actually disengage while on the gas racing or do you have to let off.

Dunn

Established Member
when we were racing, they told me to take it to 2wd, so I suppose it does help.

AWD cars are great down low, up top they suffer, I guess the same applies to trucks in 4x4 mode. Ill be sure to ask my buddy.

BLWN DSG

Vettillac
Established Member
Dunn...where in greenville are you located? I have an 04 L hence the name, just want to find some guys around.

Dunn

Established Member
Sorry man, Im in Greenville NC. I guess I need to specify that. For a second there, I thought you were the guy that we raced, because his truck was silver as well, lol.

NeverEndn

Established Member
Dunn said:
when we were racing, they told me to take it to 2wd, so I suppose it does help.

AWD cars are great down low, up top they suffer, I guess the same applies to trucks in 4x4 mode. Ill be sure to ask my buddy.

Yah if you could that would be great if you can find out weither you can turn 4X4 off while on the gas or do you have to let off and then wait until it disengages. thanks.

Dunn

Established Member
Alrighty, asked my buddy, he said switch it out of 4x4 when you shift into 2nd, then it will disengage the 4x4, you DON'T need to let off. :thumbsup:

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
from what I know about Ford xfer cases, all it does is disengauge the power going to the front wheels.. when you go from 4x4 high to 2wd..

NeverEndn

Established Member
Silver2003Cobra said:
from what I know about Ford xfer cases, all it does is disengauge the power going to the front wheels.. when you go from 4x4 high to 2wd..

So does that mean it wont harm anything while switching to 2wd from 4wd while to the floor.

Dunn

Established Member
The_Truth said:
nope i'm the one that got beat good race BTW.it's an 01 stock :rolling: dunn you got a PM
well, if we would have kept going, YOU would have whooped...when we hit 95, you were at our doors putting on the brakes, cause of the cars...you would FLEW past us. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread