Circuit City cuts " over paid " workers

99SnakeBit

White Lightning !
Established Member
So they are going to close 155 stores AND they have cut jobs. They are cutting employes that they feel " make too much"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/28/AR2007032802185.html

they are trying to stay afloat, I know that. But this just sucks to can people that have been there for years, and then they can re-apply to get their job back but at a much lower wage :bash: I didnt see anything in that article about company suits taking pay cuts :bored:

thoughts, opinions? This could be you and your job one day :poke:

SNCBOOM

Established Member
What sort of jobs are they cutting? What did they get paid. I know the circuit city here in Athens is in a shitty location. They're one of the closing stores. I've never liked circuit city anyway.

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
How in the world knowing that the company is in financial trouble can you even begin to justify the salaries of some of these ceo's? absolutely rediculous! and the unions are taking these companies down? not a chance, it's their own management...unreal.

from the article:

Circuit City chief executive Philip J. Schoonover received a salary of $716,346, along with a $704,700 bonus last year. He also has long-term compensation of $3 million in stock awards and $340,000 in underlying options, according to company filings.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Yep, they have been in trouble for a while though.

Friendchicken

The writing is on the wall. CC is bleeding to death. Cutting stores and staff is just the beginning. This is not a simple "Trim the Fat" or restructuring maneuver.

They are out of credit and need cash to pay off debtors before the repo man comes in and locks all the remaining stores' doors.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
they cut their overpaid workers like 2 years ago

the 155 store closing is recent as of this past week

STG

Banned
What the hell is wrong with you people? Nobody owes anybody a job at any wage.

If you think you're not being paid enough, find another job. What? Nobody is willing to pay you more?

taintedme

Established Member
holy crap. welcome to the past. this happened in freaking may of 2007. it also happened in 2003. shall we rehash that, as well?
truth:
- yes, we (CC) are in tough times, as are a lot of companies in our newfound (lack of) economy.
- circuit city has closed 155 of the most unprofitable stores in the most unprofitable media markets.

snakebit, why the hell are you posting articles almost 2 years old? did you also hear def leppard has a one-armed drummer? we've landed on the moon? we have a black president?

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
holy crap. welcome to the past. this happened in freaking may of 2007. it also happened in 2003. shall we rehash that, as well?
truth:
- yes, we (CC) are in tough times, as are a lot of companies in our newfound (lack of) economy.
- circuit city has closed 155 of the most unprofitable stores in the most unprofitable media markets.

snakebit, why the hell are you posting articles almost 2 years old? did you also hear def leppard has a one-armed drummer? we've landed on the moon? we have a black president?

I would think an article published NOVEMBER 8th 2008 is current:

http://news.cnet.com/say-good-bye-to-circuit-city/

Users who are viewing this thread