Church protests Soldiers funeral

0TO60N4

New SVT Poster
Established Member
High court struggles with funeral protest case
By MARK SHERMAN (AP) – 1 day ago

The Associated Press: High court struggles with funeral protest case

WASHINGTON — Supreme Court justices seemed to struggle with the question of whether the father of a dead Marine should win his lawsuit against fundamentalist church members who picketed his son's funeral.

The justices heard argument Wednesday in the emotion-laden case of Albert Snyder. His son died in Iraq in 2006, and members of the Westboro Baptist Church protested the funeral to make their point that U.S. deaths in Afghanistan and Iraq are punishment for Americans' immorality, including tolerance of homosexuality and abortion.

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg said the question is whether the First Amendment must tolerate "exploiting this bereaved family."

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The father of a Marine killed in Iraq is asking the Supreme Court to reinstate a $5 million verdict against members of a fundamentalist church who picketed his son's funeral with signs like "Thank God for Dead Soldiers" and "God Hates the USA."

The court is hearing arguments Wednesday in the dispute between Albert Snyder of York, Pa., and members of the Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kan. The case pits Snyder's right to grieve privately against the church members' right to say what they want, no matter how offensive.

Westboro members, led by the Rev. Fred Phelps, have picketed many military funerals to make their point that U.S. deaths in Afghanistan and Iraq are punishment for Americans' immorality, including tolerance of homosexuality and abortion.

They welcome the attention the protests have brought, mocking their critics and vowing not to change their ways whatever the outcome at the Supreme Court.

"No American should ever be required to apologize for following his or her conscience," said Margie Phelps, a daughter of Fred Phelps and the lawyer who is arguing the case for the church.

Fundamentalist church members turned out in advance of the argument Wednesday morning, to march in front of the court with placards of the type they've been carrying to military funerals. One young boy held up a sign that reads, "God Hates You."

A line of people who trying to get into the argument stretched around the corner of the high court atop Capitol Hill.

Snyder undertook the lawsuit after the Phelpses picketed the funeral of his son, Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder, in March 2006. The Marine was killed in a Humvee accident.

Snyder won an $11 million verdict against the church for intentional infliction of emotional distress, among other claims. A judge reduced the award to $5 million before the federal appeals court in Richmond, Va., threw out the verdict altogether, citing the church's First Amendment rights.

For Snyder, the case is not about free speech but harassment. "I had one chance to bury my son and it was taken from me," Snyder said.

Forty-eight states, 42 U.S. senators and veterans groups have sided with Snyder, asking the court to shield funerals from the Phelpses' "psychological terrorism."

While distancing themselves from the church's message, media organizations, including The Associated Press, have called on the court to side with the Phelpses because of concerns that a victory for Snyder could erode speech rights.

Associated Press Writer Jim Abrams contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

0TO60N4

New SVT Poster
Established Member
This just makes me so sick. I know if someone did this at one of my brothers funerals I would go beserk on these animals (body bags), they should be ashamed to call themselves americans.

Last edited:

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
The church came down after the Ft Hood shooting to protest, their pieces of shit, and I hope someone burns down his cult playhouse...its not a church

OhIIICobra

Established Member
Eventually they will protest the wrong funeral and run across a pissed off family member that doesn't give a ****. I am amazed with the discipline of the families who have had run in's with these low-lives and I am disgusted that they cower under the first amendment that the service members helped to provide. Protesting a funeral should be off limits.

95PGTTech

Established Member
It's only a matter of time before one of these idiots gets shot.

You'd think they'd know a service member's funeral would be chock-full of people exercising their right to bear arms. If you're going to swing a piece of meat in front of an animal, do it in front of a grasshopper, not a ****ing lion.

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
While distancing themselves from the church's message, media organizations, including The Associated Press, have called on the court to side with the Phelpses because of concerns that a victory for Snyder could erode speech rights.

:lol: Oh, now their worried! :lol: stupid ****suckers

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
You'd think they'd know a service member's funeral would be chock-full of people exercising their right to bear arms. If you're going to swing a piece of meat in front of an animal, do it in front of a grasshopper, not a ****ing lion.

So let me get this right. One's right to bear arms gives them to right to commit murder on someone exercising their right to protest? I say BS and a bunch of chest beaters who would never pull the trigger.

Now don't get me wrong, their acts are beyond being distasteful and disgusting. But no says protests have to be tasteful and acceptable to all.

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
So let me get this right. One's right to bear arms gives them to right to commit murder on someone exercising their right to protest? I say BS and a bunch of chest beaters who would never pull the trigger.

Now don't get me wrong, their acts are beyond being distasteful and disgusting. But no says protests have to be tasteful and acceptable to all.

Exactly, and hes implying that one right supersedes another right, which is wrong. While the message may not be the case, the act of is exactly what we swear to defend in essence.

03cobraracer

Established Member
those people are a disgrace and should be deported immediately. i would love to mow then down with my car..

0TO60N4

New SVT Poster
Established Member

Soo you are saying if one of your family members died defending our country someone you love very much. At there funeral someone had signs saying "he deserved it" "thank god for dead soldiers/IEDs" "he commited adultry". You would just say "its there right to say it" just shrugg it off. ahhh whatever.
Sure some people probally are "chest Beaters" we will see in time if A) they stop because of threats or judge order B) someone does actually go through with it :beer:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
any damage or hurt inflicted upon them will just add to their cause.

best to just ignore them until they realize their attention whore ways are going unnoticed.

+1 I also think its pretty dumb for people to think that someone is going to shoot one of these people and then spend the rest of their life in jail so they can say, yea I killed one of those clowns. Anyone who would shoot one of these people is just as retarded as they are.

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
Soo you are saying if one of your family members died defending our country someone you love very much. At there funeral someone had signs saying "he deserved it" "thank god for dead soldiers/IEDs" "he commited adultry". You would just say "its there right to say it" just shrugg it off. ahhh whatever.
Sure some people probally are "chest Beaters" we will see in time if A) they stop because of threats or judge order B) someone does actually go through with it :beer:
See post below yours. Like i said before, these MORONS are simply that. Morons. They rarely get close enough to the funerals anymore to be seen or heard, in part thanks to the Patriot Guard.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Eventually they will protest the wrong funeral and run across a pissed off family member that doesn't give a ****. I am amazed with the discipline of the families who have had run in's with these low-lives and I am disgusted that they cower under the first amendment that the service members helped to provide. Protesting a funeral should be off limits.

that's what i thought but when ive seen pics/videos of them in action theyre surrounded by cops. THAT'S why no one has done anything to them other than some scuffles. but i am surprised no one has burned their "church" or homes down or caught them walking down a dark alley at night!

and there's the rub. while im a full supporter/believer of constitutional rights, its so hard to allow these idiots to exercise them :nonono:

any damage or hurt inflicted upon them will just add to their cause.

not if theyre all wiped out! :burn::p seriously though, i doubt anyone else would pick up where they left off if they were all taken out some how. and i doubt anyone would cry over them either :nonono:

the truly SAD part is they have their brainwashed children out there with them shouting the same crap :nonono:

yeah, if they did this to a family member of mine id have a hard time not going to jail. unfortunately though, i probably wouldnt even make it past the police line and just to jail for attempted assault or something :bored:

Planter

Banned
+1 I also think its pretty dumb for people to think that someone is going to shoot one of these people and then spend the rest of their life in jail so they can say, yea I killed one of those clowns. Anyone who would shoot one of these people is just as retarded as they are.

well maybe not someone with a terminal illness who didn't have much longer to live, what would they have to lose?

Users who are viewing this thread