CHP ONLY (I only want leos who know the cvc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sil80sx

Established Member
If I register my car in Mexico with mexican plates and drive with a mexican license in CA, which law states that its mandatory I get a CA license and CA plates IF I have dual residency in CA and in Mexico?? (meaning I dont have a permanent residence in CA, only in mexico and I jus so happen to visit CA daily ;-) )

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Are you being truthful when you say you don't have a residence in CA and that you visit daily? Or does the little ;-) mean you're being deceitful?

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
Are you being truthful when you say you don't have a residence in CA and that you visit daily? Or does the little ;-) mean you're being deceitful?

It means he is here illegally.

Sil80sx

Established Member

Yep, my mom lives in the US and my dad in Mexico. What's to say I cant have my permanent residence be in Mexico but I work and visit CA daily?

And boomer I'm not here illegally, I'm a Mexican AND US Citizen, haha dont be jealous :rolling:

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Yep, my mom lives in the US and my dad in Mexico. What's to say I cant have my permanent residence be in Mexico but I work and visit CA daily?

And boomer I'm not here illegally, I'm a Mexican AND US Citizen, haha dont be jealous :rolling:

It means he is here illegally.

If he was here illegally he wouldn't be allowed to have a CA DL.

Do you reside in CA?

Do you have a SSN?

Last edited:

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
Well taking on his post, I would guess, he is here illegally, but that is just me. Why not have a cali Licenses, and then vist mexico? Why does it have to be backwards? It seems it would be a lot easier IMO.

mnewxcv

Established Member
Well taking on his post, I would guess, he is here illegally, but that is just me. Why not have a cali Licenses, and then vist mexico? Why does it have to be backwards? It seems it would be a lot easier IMO.

smog testing/cats/inspection/noise/tint

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
If I register my car in Mexico with mexican plates and drive with a mexican license in CA, which law states that its mandatory I get a CA license and CA plates IF I have dual residency in CA and in Mexico?? (meaning I dont have a permanent residence in CA, only in mexico and I jus so happen to visit CA daily ;-) )

It's not a "dual residency" if you reside in Mexico and truly only visit CA.

However, the rules are different for vehicle registration vs. drivers license.

If you reside in CA; you have 10 days to obtain a CA license, however if you are simply visiting, your state or country of residency licence will be honored.

Your vehicle is a different story; you have 20 days to register it if you rent, lease, work, go to school, or even stay with family for an extended period of time.

If your vehicle violates CA statutes, it can be held liable for such.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
I believe he may be referencing the many different attempts by liberal CA lawmakers to grant drivers licenses to illegal immigrants (or illegal aliens for those of us who still see them as criminals). The LAPD strongly supports the effort and has officially stopped enforcing the 30 day impound for unlicensed drivers.

It's not unusual to find illegal aliens with high quality fake drivers licneses, social security cards, etc. I used to confiscate them years ago and use them as training aids with new officers, but stopped when I filled 2 shoeboxes with them.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
I understand what some CA lawmakers may want to do, etc...

It's still not possible for an Illegal Alien to legally obtain a CA drivers license. :shrug:

NEp8ntballer

Established Member
if you truly commute back and forth and reside in Mexico you should be in the clear, but if you are lying and only want to avoid the hassles that come with a modified vehicle registered in CA then you're playing with fire.

DISCLAIMER: NOT CHP, but also not an idiot

Sil80sx

Established Member
if you truly commute back and forth and reside in Mexico you should be in the clear, but if you are lying and only want to avoid the hassles that come with a modified vehicle registered in CA then you're playing with fire.

DISCLAIMER: NOT CHP, but also not an idiot

Exactly. I feel like I have the advantage here because of my dual citizenship and the fact that socal n mexico are a border apart.

It's not a "dual residency" if you reside in Mexico and. only visit CA.

However, the rules are different for vehicle registration vs. drivers license.

If you reside in CA; you have 10 days to obtain a CA license, however if you are simply visiting, your state or country of residency licence will be honored.

Your vehicle is a different story; you have 20 days to register it if you rent, lease, work, go to school, or even stay with family for an extended period of time.

If your vehicle violates CA statutes, it can be held liable for such.

please define "extended period of time"..........and does that time reset the moment I step back into mexico???

smog testing/cats/inspection/noise/tint

Thank you for simplifying it for the stupid in here. It seems like common sense is a super power now a days.

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
Based on what you've typed so far... I would just cite you and let you explain your excuse to the judge.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Based on what you've typed so far... I would just cite you and let you explain your excuse to the judge.

There are some specific issues related to Mexican citizens who operate their vehicles in CA, but at this point I think I'll just sit back and listen. Afterall, he knows more than I do about CA law..........LOL

NEp8ntballer

Established Member
Exactly. I feel like I have the advantage here because of my dual citizenship and the fact that socal n mexico are a border apart.

so playing with fire then... police aren't stupid so if you're going to try and pull the 'I'm not a resident' card then you better have a lot of documentation to back up your claim

please define "extended period of time"..........and does that time reset the moment I step back into mexico???

no... just visiting for the weekend isn't moving or returning to your normal residence...

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
There are some specific issues related to Mexican citizens who operate their vehicles in CA, but at this point I think I'll just sit back and listen. Afterall, he knows more than I do about CA law..........LOL

It's interesting when someone asks for advice on a topic they clearly don't understand, but argues when someone who does have firsthand knowledge on the issue, tells him something he doesn't like. (holy run-on sentence batman, sorry) :lol1:

Zinc03Cobra

Super Trooper
Established Member

per the CA DMV website...

How To Register A Vehicle from Out-of-State (Nonresident Vehicle)

and for the lazy...

When fees are due

Fees must be paid within 20 days of entry or residency to avoid penalties. Any vehicle owned by a California resident must be registered within 20 days of entry into California unless a special permit was obtained. Nonresidents whose vehicles are properly registered to them in their home state or jurisdiction may operate their vehicles in California until they:

Accept gainful employment in California.

Would you really want CA plates while in Mexico? That seems like a big target on your back. The definition for a non-resident per the DMV is right above that link.

Since you are a US citizen, there's nothing stopping you from applying for a CA license. Ditch that Matrícula Consular piece of garbage you have in your wallet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread