Chirping Noise from Belt

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
When I purchased my car in July I immediately heard a slight chirping noise coming from the accessory belt. When I narrowed it down to one of the idler pullies I started searching for solutions. I noticed Ford made the idler pullies out of plastic for the GT cars from 11-14, looks like the Boss and 15+ have metal ones. My car only has 8k miles and there was quite a bit of play on the stock tensioner between the bearing and the pulley. The only aftermarket ones I found were made by Steeda and they were 120 just for the pullies.

I ended up purchasing the Boss tensioner assembly and idler. The tensioner pulley appears to be the same size but the Boss idler pulley is a little bigger. Install is very straight forward as I think I spent maybe 20 minutes out there and half of that was keeping my 2 year old away from the car as he was swinging everything he could get a hold of. Even though the idler pulley was a little bigger there was still plenty of room on the tensioner with the current belt. If you upgraded to the Boss alternator pulley you would definitely need a bigger belt but if not stock belt works fine. When I started the car it was definitely quieter but I could hear a tiny bit of noise from the A/C belt but that another common problem on these cars and with the hood closed you cant even hear it so ill just leave it.

There is a Boss alternator kit out there that includes, tensioner, idlers, belt, alternator, and all hardware for under 300. For anyone with a Boss or CJ this may be a good option especially if you are spinning high RPM's. I plan to put a blower on mine and keep revs at or below 7k so hopefully the stock alternator last for years.

Not sure if anyone else has the noise but hopefully this thread will save you a little money. Really didnt want to spend 120 on pullies alone..... I think I spent just under 70 dollars on parts and the tensioner itself does seem a little beefier than the stock GT one. Not sure who thought it was a great idea to put plastic idlers on this car but im sure it saved them quite some money. Here are a couple of pics.

IMG_20170414_162801788_zpsmwkvhhyc.jpg

IMG_20170414_163309534_zpsdbgywqt0.jpg

night rider

Established Member
I'd like to pour some liquid plastic down the throat of however is responsible for putting cheap plastic parts on vital parts.

Users who are viewing this thread