Chirp/squeal..belt or bearing?

notagt

Established Member
Hey guys, did a search and found alot of info but wanted to verify. I am new to the Cobra after putting a Cobra/T56 into my Mach 1. I haven't really gotten to drive the car, but today I cranked up and out of nowhere started a LOUD chirping. Stays constant then all of a sudden quiet, then back again. It started with car cold and heat doesn't seem to make a difference. The motor sat up for at least 2 years and I got a dyno sheet with it dated 2009. I put a new Gator Green HD belt on it...gonna try the water trick I read here, wanted your opinion on a short video I took. To me sounds like idler next to blower pulley..think they are either Metco or Billet. Thanks, if it is bearings, are the idlers a b****h to take off?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NhfZ1hgurM

notagt

Established Member
Looking at pics the motor came with Billetflow setup, no issue using Metco bearings ? I didn't see replacement bearings offered on BF website.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
I had a similar issue after washing my engine bay when I first purchased my Cobra, drove me crazy!! I ended up replacing the idlers one by one trying to figure out the culprit. My car also had a mix of Motoblue and METCO idlers. I went with the METCO DBs haven't had any chirping since.

MG0h3

Established Member
Try the water trick. If that's isn't it is recommend a stethoscope to narrow it down.

Bearing is a 6203 at oreilleys for about 7 bucks. Drive it out with a punch. Press in with a socket and vice.

notagt

Established Member
Thanks guys. The water mist didn't change it. It wind up being the pulley under the blower pulley, wouldn't even free spin. Thanks for the bearing info, just gonna do all of them for piece of mind, tensioner seems good and new belt back on, I have access to a press for install, or the freezer/oven trick I found using the search button..thanks again :bowdown:

s8loorD.jpg

MG0h3

Established Member
It's not a tight interference. At least on mine. Two fingers on the vice did it so freezing won't be necessary

notagt

Established Member
I tried the freezing/oven deal..didn't work, I went old school with a socket and hammer. After changing all of them, no chirping !!!

Users who are viewing this thread