Chip tuning for boost?????

rocket5979

Established Member
Ok since this is in reference to the amount of boost i plan on running and stuff. What i want to know is how accurate (on average, and assuming they are a good programmer) does the custom tuning tend to be when using a diablo chip for such things as remapping air/ruel ratio's? and timing retardation at certain rpm's? I know that when you get a dyno tune it is really accurate. But when you first order the chip usually you just give the programmer a list of your mods and such and then they go from there. Would you think this would be close enough to not hurt anything when i run it for the first time with my new stuff? Or would a dyno tune be needed immediately? I mean i know they cannot get everything perfect on the first shot but just how close can they come with just getting an accurate list of your mods and boost numbers and such and burning a chip for that? I know i kind of restated my question about 3 times already. :-D but i just want to get my question out to someone without them having any wonders of what i am asking. Thanks. Robert

PowerCobra98

Yes, mine is better.
Established Member
I have a friend who ordered a chip and gave a list of mods and the chip came back and everything worked great...however I would suggest that if at all possible that if you're getting a programmable chip and have the opportunity to get it tuned on a dyno that you should do so. Your results will then be perfectly customized to your application and then you will have no worries whatsoever about the chip or what's going on in relation to it and all the moving parts in your engine...just a thought.

rocket5979

Established Member
Awesome!!! Thanks powercobra. That was what i was hoping to hear. That was what i thought i had heard before but i wanted torun it by the SVT crew too. I just wish there was a dyno tuner somewhere closer to where i live. Thanks again.

And if anyone else wants to throw something in to add feel free to share your experiences with this subject.

Blown306

Established Member
I agree with PowerCobra, an 'off the shelf' tune, even if you give them all your mods, will be programmed overly safe. (It would be bad press if their programs constantly aired out engines).

With the dyno tune you can push the envelope as far as you (and the tuner) feel comfortable. There's more hp for you to tap with a dyno tune...

In your case, start with the custom chip (not a Superchip, get a REAL one)and get it dyno tuned when you have the opportunity IMO...

rocket5979

Established Member
The custom chip i am getting is a Diablo Dual program flipchip. The guy that is doing it for me has to remap the fuel and ignition curves to account for the 9 lbs boost i will be running. That is why i was wondering how accurate it would be so as for peace of mind that i could drive it without killing it as long as i went to the dynotuner and had it done within a short period of time.

PowerCobra98

Yes, mine is better.
Established Member
Originally posted by rocket5979
The custom chip i am getting is a Diablo Dual program flipchip. The guy that is doing it for me has to remap the fuel and ignition curves to account for the 9 lbs boost i will be running. That is why i was wondering how accurate it would be so as for peace of mind that i could drive it without killing it as long as i went to the dynotuner and had it done within a short period of time.

You'll be fine. Just listen for obvious sounds of detonation or other problems.

rocket5979

Established Member
Could ya inform me of the difference between the two. meaning the cost difference. or any other considerable differences?

Users who are viewing this thread