CHIP FYI...

Tydlwavs

Parts God
Established Member
Called Dennis Reinhart today to discuss pricing on the chip. For my 1996 reburn from the Gen1 setting to the newest calibration for the chip it will cost 75.00. Custom Chips was at 30. I'm contemplating this, but I think I'll do it anyway.

It's my personal opinion that Dennis is not a customer service savy personality. I think he knows his stuff to a great degree, but I don't rate his phone/internet discussions high on my list of happy people to deal with. I'll be more than happy to give this a shot and see how things work out. I don't require a new chip after all, I just need a reburn. I'll report back once I get the chip returned. I just thought everyone would want an update on the chip situation.

Rodeo Joe

Need I say more!
Established Member
So is CustomChip done? It's seems like Dennis got in the chip buisness when the $h!t hit the fan with Joe. All his calibrations are the same as Jerry's (ie CustomChip) and he says Jerry isn't supporting CustomChip no longer. Turn around is 3 days, so let us know Todd.

Joe

Tydlwavs

Parts God
Established Member
I'm picking up a 75mm TB and once that's a solid, done deal I will be sending my chip in. I'll be sure to let ya know!

citriK SVT

Established Member
Originally posted by VicRattlehead
just a fyi, Remember Dom from tccoa? I talked with him he said he is jerry's first tunning student and he can program chips and stuff if you want, not sure what he charges or anything but just another option.
http://dmann.org/~rff/

looked at his site and says he charges $ 235 for N/A 4R70W. dunno who i'd go with, him or dennis. hmmm.....

Rodeo Joe

Need I say more!
Established Member
He doesn't mention anything about reburns.:shrug: Everyone seems to be pretty hot on Dennis right now! :eek:

Joe

Last edited:

Blown306

Established Member
I have one thing to say...DIY. That kinda stuff sounds like it makes the EEC-Tuner a better choice every day. (j/k - :read: it's not for anyone with a weak heart, high blood pressure, or type A personalities :cuss: )

compntuner.jpg

Blown306

Established Member
The saga continues...

I just got this off the TCCoA board...

There has been a reply to your message on the TCCoA Custom EEC Tuning Forum. Here's the repsonse:

I'm doing custom chips now. If you're in need of custom programming or istock Diablo chips, give me a shout. I'll beat Dennis's prices, and my chips are "Jerry" chips.

Dom Orlando
RFF Performance (http://dmann.org/~rff)
2001 Mustang GT 5-spd
Bassani O/R exhaust
Underdrive pulleys
Custom RFF tune
http://dmann.org/~dorlando/stang/Dynocomp/after_ex.jpg

Tydlwavs

Parts God
Established Member
Update!!!

I needed to get a new 4 bank chip to control the high speed fan turn on with the 180* t-stat. I sent in the old chip and Dennis has a new 4 bank chip on the way. I know jack about the chip internals, but I called Dennis one night and the next day the chip was on his desk waiting for my call for payment. I've got my upper plenum getting ported to match a 75mm TB so I should have the car buttoned back up in a week or two. Then I can test out the new mods. I know that Dennis plans to correct pricing in the near future. Regardless of who is now offering the chips I'll probably have it tuned when needed from now on.

Rodeo Joe

Need I say more!
Established Member
Todd,

All I've been hearing lately is these 4 bank chips. What exactly are they and how do they compare to an older InjectTech or CustomChip? I have a reburnt CustomChip that was originally an InjectTech chip. Joe set it up Gen 2 to run with the 180 t-stat also. Can you share any info? I haven't installed it yet, probably in a few weeks. Thanks.

Joe

Tydlwavs

Parts God
Established Member
All I can do for now is show you a pic. It's a Diablo 4 bank chip with Dennis' tune tossed into the mix. I'll be getting my upper plenum back in one-two weeks and then I can rape the snow tires a little more. Contact Jerry for more info. He cleared up some info for me. The old chips can only control 1/2 of my computer. I need a new Diablo 4 bank to control all the eec.

Blown306

Established Member
Originally posted by Rodeo Joe
Todd,

All I've been hearing lately is these 4 bank chips. What exactly are they and how do they compare to an older InjectTech or CustomChip? I have a reburnt CustomChip that was originally an InjectTech chip. Joe set it up Gen 2 to run with the 180 t-stat also. Can you share any info? I haven't installed it yet, probably in a few weeks. Thanks.

Joe

A "bank" is a block of memory. With the EEC-Tuner and the GUI software on an OBDC-2 PCM, you can pull 2 banks of data (although they are downloaded and saved 1 bank at a time). With a 4 bank chip you can access more data area of the PCM. My old school EEC-IV only has 1 bank. I guess that's what happens when one has a distributor, fan clutch and a transmission controlled by a cable...

Rodeo Joe

Need I say more!
Established Member
Actually Dennis just got back to me and said my set up doesn't require a 4 bank chip. He didn't elaborate on it, but maybe because I'm running the 3.8 I won't need it? Vacation next week so it looks like the chip is going in and the Sport brakes are going on! :thumbsup:

Joe

Last edited:

Tydlwavs

Parts God
Established Member
Good Lord! About damn time you got those brakes on. When did I sell you the rotors...like 2 years ago. LMAO

Glad to hear you have some "together" time with the baby. I re-posiitoned my EEC so I can kick the shit out of it when she doesn't drive as directed.

Rodeo Joe

Need I say more!
Established Member
Tell me about it! Time flies when we're out spending money on other things but the car!:shrug: I'm getting conflicting reports on the chip here. Dennis tells me I don't need it, Jerry says in a post if I have a 96-97 I can benefit from a 4 bank chip. :??: So I'll see what develops!:lol:

Joe

Tydlwavs

Parts God
Established Member
Does Jerry know you have a 3.8 and a 96/97 bir?. Shoot him your box code and see what he says. Dennis had to contact Jerry about mine. I have a feeling I didn't get my raised RPM's at idle. I was looking for 200-300 rpm's higher at idle, but I think my chip was shipped before he opened my package with the full request. I'm gonna dyno mine soon after install of my TB to see if the a/f ratio is ok and if everything works according to the order.

Rodeo Joe

Need I say more!
Established Member
I had mentioned that I had a 97 3.8 to Dennis and one of the posts from MTC that Jerry replied to, so I assume they know this. Todd, when you upgraded to the 4 bank, does he give you anything for the old chip you sent him or paying full price? Man. I thought I had this all figured out!:cryying:

Joe

Tydlwavs

Parts God
Established Member
I got in under the wire. I paid 100 for the reburn and new chip. He told me his prices were going up since Diablo gets 350 or so for theirs. He also mentioned that he has reburned Superchips modules for that 75.00 and he thinks it should be 125-150(can't remember what he said). Talk to Dom Orlando as well and see what info he can provide. I can't give you results of my chip since I don't have the intake plenum:??:

Rodeo Joe

Need I say more!
Established Member
Got a hold of Jerry yesterday and he straightened things out for me. I could go with a 4 bank but it would be a waste of money right now. I'd need to get into bigger mods like changing injectors and stuff like that. The only benefit I would get is the fan cooling speed. So hopefully the CustomChip works out OK!:D

Joe

JustinH

Established Member
My Customchip Saga.

Fellas,
Do not deal with customchip at all.

They have had my chip for 6 months now.
Joe is a bull$shit artist, and makes up a new excuse every week.

I have filed complaints with the better business bureau, the FBI Internet Fraud Team, and the local Rhode Island Police Department.

My next step is to show up at his front door with a louisville slugger.

:cuss:

JH
95 4.6

Users who are viewing this thread