Chip? Back-fire cure

Mwynn

Established Member
I'm still very much enjoying my 00r, never gets old! I think I put 800 miles on the odometer the last couple months. I noticed it backfires on occasion under deceleration... which was hardly noticed with the quite stock exhaust. Yet after removing the catted h-pipe in favor of an off-road h-pipe the backfire is annoying. Sounds much better tho! I'm in search of a chip to remedy this problem and make a few more hp's. Any information is appreciated.... thanks guys.

svtguy

Established Member
Back in the early days of the 2000 Cobra R, chips were available from Racesystems. I used it for several years before getting an SCT Pro Racer Package and doing my own tuning.

http://www.racesystems.com/sneeciv/sneec.htm#Who Is RACE Systems?

[email protected]

You could also contact ac427cobra / Bruce at Full Tilt Boogie Racing. At one time he had available SCT programmers with tunes for the 00R's.

Paul

Mwynn

Established Member
Thanks, a SCT programmer would work fine, just need the ability to stop backfires, turn off rear o2 sensors (believe in line cel eliminators not working), and a pre-loaded tune for the 5.4.

Mwynn

Established Member

Back fire issue cured, thanks Bruce at full tilt boogie racing. Fixed it with a big mass air kit and a tune on sct programmer. Feels like I picked up a few more HP's to boot. Pushed the car hard across the mountain yesterday, some random guy on a cbr 1000 decided to give chase. I could edge away in the slower technical curves, but he would catch me in the straights. Nice guy sent me some video of the run. I try to post it.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
DANG! That looks like a fun freak’n road for an R romp! Thanks for posting the video.

Glad you got your backfire issue fixed. All good.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I think I have a tuner (not married) that lists the 2000 Cobra R as one of the vehicles included in the tunes. I bought it for a 1999 V8 SHO, but never used it. I will have to look again at the list of vehicles it tunes but I am pretty sure the 5.4 DOHC Cobra R is on the list. I never connected it to my 2000 Cobra R because I never had any issues and was happy with its performance. I think this tuner adds 10-20hp if I remember correctly? Maybe a little more? That would be a nice little bump to 400 or so hp, maybe a little more.

If someone is interested, I can pull it out and take pictures of the tuner and original paperwork.

I'm also pretty sure it is SCT.

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I just went to the SCT website, and it looks like they no longer list a tuner for the 2000 Cobra R or the V8 SHO Taurus.......

R

Mwynn

Established Member
DANG! That looks like a fun freak’n road for an R romp! Thanks for posting the video.

Glad you got your backfire issue fixed. All good.
Yes! One of the perks for living in the north GA mountains! The 00R is right at home.

Users who are viewing this thread