Chevy's Response Letter...burn baby burn!

svt boost

Dr. Boost
Established Member
Camaro Nation:

As you know, the blogs lit up with the announcement of the new 650-horsepower Mustang GT500, and I wanted to give you my perspective on the latest challenge from Dearborn.

The Mustang has been playing catch up since the moment the fifth-gen Camaro arrived in 2009. Since then, Camaro has been the best-selling sports car in America, indicating that consumers know which car offers the best performance, style and safety.

It is no coincidence that Mustang has introduced three 100-horsepower increases to keep pace with Camaro: First their V-6 was bumped to 305; then their V-8 went to 412, and now the GT500.

Even with the 100-hp increase, the 2013 GT500 will still not match the technology and sophistication of the 2012 Camaro ZL1.

The days of “no replacement for displacement,” are over, and it’s not enough to be fast in a straight line. With the Camaro ZL1, we set out to deliver integrated performance, and be equally good at acceleration, braking, grip, and turning. As you will soon see, that’s why the Camaro ZL1 will set the performance benchmark for the segment.

Our approach was to make every Camaro ZL1 fully track-capable, from the factory. As we announced today, the ZL1 Coupe will start at $54,995 with standard Magnetic Ride Control, standard Performance Traction Management, and standard track-capable equipment such as a rear-differential cooler, brake cooling ducts, and an engine and transmission cooler.

None of our customers will have to buy extra options – or modify their ZL1 – for track-day usage. That is not the case for the current GT500, or their new car.

For Mustang fans, you’re welcome. Clearly the Camaro has encouraged Ford to throw everything they can at us.

For Camaro fans, trust me, we are always listening to your feedback, and working hard to keep the Camaro in the lead.

Al O.

Ironhand

Banned
Chevy is just mad.... lol

The GT-500 just reset the bar alittle higher. Also lets through 6K worth of mods into both cars. Game over GT-500 wins and the ZL1 is almost as slow as it started out.

Nicolaskl

BANNED
Established Member
Also lets through 6K worth of mods into both cars. Game over GT-500 wins and the ZL1 is almost as slow as it started out.

I wouldn't go that far, but with its lighter weight and stouter factory internals, I don't see how anyone could argue against the GT500 winning the lightly to moderately modified war.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Man, it's going to be ugly to be on the losing side of the ZL1 vs GT500 performance battle.

That letter is pretty condescending in my opinion. Sure competition makes one company one up the other, but to say Chevy is responsible for everything the Mustang has evolved into is whack.

If, and I'm saying if, the GT500 slaughters the ZL1 on track, how will Fords letter look? :)

Ironhand

Banned
Been catching up since 2009???

The Shelby came out in 07 and there was nothing really to keep up with the 03-04s.

In my book GM is playing catch up for the last decade.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
^ Did you forget about the vette? lol

I hope C&D covers this battle. I am curious what they have to say about it.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
What universe is he living in?

312265_10150540524693776_606213775_11386874_1877958780_n.jpg

Captain Beyond

Established Member
:lol:

"The Mustang has been playing catch up" ? :rollseyes I think it's the other way around. There wouldn't be a camaro if it wasn't for Mustang. :-D
Sounds like sour grapes to me. :whine:

Last edited:

svt boost

Dr. Boost
Established Member
The letter is a tad silly...for instance the "new" 3.5L V6 was planned since 2003-4...heck I knew about it then, I even got a letter to motortrend published about it. It is not "reactionar" at all, what is reactionary is Chevy killing the camaro and then bringing it back when the 05 mustang got super hot and sold like crazy...5 years later you had a camaro lol. The 2013 GT500 is a going to be a beast, end of story. And it is not a reaction, but an evolution and simply adding on parts (for the most part) that were already in the bin.

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
oh my goodness gm just should have kept their mouth shut. Way to retaliate. Put your money where your mouth is gm lol.

Oh and for the record, camaro fans should thank ford for ever coming out with the mustang in the first place and making it so good that gm had to make a carbon copy version of their own. That guy that wrote that letter is a complete douche.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
That guy that wrote that letter is a complete douche.

Agreed. The '13 Shelby is going to be insane. I love it. Mustang fans really should like the fact that the Camaro made a comeback though. Without it there probably wouldn't be a 420hp GT or a 650hp GT500. Competition is a bootyful thing.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
In my opinion, this is in fact damage control due to the release of information for the 2013 Shelby GT500. Those in charge at Chevy are afraid they will lose some of the orders for the new ZL1.

These are good quotes from 2010+ Camaro owners from camaro5.com forum who have their thinking caps on.

I think the letter is great...but

....as long as Chevy has the Vette there will be limits......

...Ford doesnt have that burden.....

hmm public service announcement. im not a mustang fan but when i see a letter pop up with reassurance to evade buyers remorse. it makes me wonder if they are worried bout the bottom line

What happens when Ford release the performance numbers? What if 0-60, 1/4 and ring time are better than the ZL1? If the letter is true, sounds more like damage control to me.

I agree ^^^^ looking at this from the outside in, How else would you expect them to respond? Sorry guys, but we got caught with our pants down around our ankles.......! I think its more damage control, but only GM knows.... I don't think anyone saw 650 hp/200 mph coming....Execpt for ford) Lol

The letter is a little bit of both sides. It is to help calm the niche market who will be purchasing this car with words of track ready and such. It it also true damage control. No way did GM ever anticipate that Ford would drop a bomb like they did. The timing could not have been better for Ford or worse for GM.

I give props that for pushing out that letter but, then again what choice did they have. Every forum has large threads crying foul and OMG and whatever else.

What i meant by that was the timing of that announcement being dropped was huge and i'm pretty sure caught GM way off guard the same as the rest of us. If it weren't you wouldn't be seeing this letter from Mr. Al O. the very next day. Now i'm certain GM knew Ford would step it up as they have little choice. Do i think that they were fully aware that announcement from the oval would be dropped and splashed all over the web pushing the HIGHLY anticipated ZL1 pricing to the back pages the same day? No i do not.

Now i'm not bashing anything in any way nor have i ever towards the 5th gen. In fact i am delighted with the "war" We all win. But, i call it as i see it. I'm no fan of Ford. In this instance though i do have to say....

Well played blue oval.. Well played.
The other bone heads who now own currently inferior generation 5 Camaros are all screaming war chants as fan boys. All they are posting is "The ZL1 will rule the streets and the 2013 Shelby will lose!"

Last edited:

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
Clearly the person who wrote that letter has never driven a Camaro back-to-back with a Mustang. A friend of mine bought a brand new 2SS 6 speed about 3 months ago. I begged him not to buy it, citing the big weight, shitty interior, poor vision out, and just general crappyness of it. He sold it WITH THE TEMP TAGS STILL ON IT. He hated it so much that he took a huge hit on it. The Shelby no doubt will prevail, and in fact, every Mustang comparison that's come out since they received the updated powertrains has turned out in favor of the Mustang.

Edit: Also, very few of these cars will ever see a road course. My friend's dad regularly open tracks his Boss 302LC, but most of those are just shoved in garages and covered in bubble wrap. It's a damned shame.

Last edited:

fangstang

Established Member
I was just on the camaro5 forum and couldnt believe the delusional sheep thinking that the letter was a confidence booster in their ZL1. Now, I dont doubt for a second that the ZL1 will indeed be an awesome car, but its so obvious that this letter was written to secure peoples insecurities now that the GT500 will piss on it. The timing by Ford was perfect. But the timing of Chevy was not. If you read the thread on who is still getting the ZL1 based on the price, you'll see more then a few saying that they are jumping ship and getting the GT500. That must have also provoked the letter.

Users who are viewing this thread