Chevy dropping 100K warranty

VenomVeins

Established Member
They should try and fix the root cause which is enormous recalls and unreliable powertrains.

This X 65,000

Yet another reason to avoid the many shitpiles GM attempts to pass as 'Vehicles'.
Pathetic. I hope they get sued into bankruptcy by the thousands of people who have lost a loved one or been in an accident because of their neglect.

MysticRob

Established Member
GM said:
General Motors plans to cut its powertrain warranty on Chevrolet and GMC vehicles for the 2016 model year, concluding that its standout offer of 100,000-mile coverage -- in place for nearly a decade -- wasn't a strong enough selling point.

Riiiiiiiight, because not being a strong enough selling point means you reduce the coverage, not improve upon it, or offer even more enticements that hopefully won't cost much long term. The unspoken truth is likely that they can't financially justify the increased powertrain warranty claims.

GM said:
"As a result, we have benchmarked our competitors, reviewed our current offerings and have concluded the following modifications to align closely with our customers’ needs and expectations," it said.

Customer expectations are to have their GM vehicles' ignitions lead to their deaths so warranty coverage is naturally low on their list. Life insurance ranked higher on the survey.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Its proof they plan to make even shittier products in 2016. Get ready for more recalls.

MysticRob

Established Member
Its proof they plan to make even shittier products in 2016. Get ready for more recalls.

LMAO!! Good catch!
Maybe they'll just not offer any warranties so they don't have to issue recalls.

51IMrAABm3L._SX300_.jpg

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
LMAO!! Good catch!
Maybe they'll just not offer any warranties so they don't have to issue recalls.

51IMrAABm3L._SX300_.jpg

I bet your right. Gm had no plans to ever issue recalls untill the government got involved. GM is one company that believes in selling shitty products to the american people. WHY? Because there are people that after all the recalls including ignition issues on brand new 14/15 that will still buy them.

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member

I bet your right. Gm had no plans to ever issue recalls untill the government got involved. GM is one company that believes in selling shitty products to the american people. WHY? Because there are people that after all the recalls including ignition issues on brand new 14/15 that will still buy them.

Do some research. The two largest recalls in automotive history are from ford and ..one was for faulty ignition switches. GMs issue if I recall was that the tumbler/set was light and heavy keys were turning the ignition to accessory/off. Fords were catching on fire WHILE driving. But your right... All GM does is build junk and kill babies.

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
hope they get sued into bankruptcy by the thousands of people who have lost a loved one or been in an accident because of their neglect.

Thousands? Are you just Making up numbers? I've seen the count between 30-200. For comparison something like 100 were confirmed for fordfs faulty parking break and almost 300 for the Firestone/explorer fiasco.

VenomVeins

Established Member
Thousands? Are you just Making up numbers? I've seen the count between 30-200.

Im sure you meant 650 people SO FAR with 2.6 MILLION crashes directly related to it, right GM apologist?

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/gm...eaths-injuries-linked-ignition-switch-n168131

I grew up with nearly my entire family being Chevy.....until the early 90's. Too many poorly constructed shitbag cars that either broke down constantly or nickel and dimed my parents and grandparents to death. And they didnt buy the garbage models....camaro's, corvette, trucks, and Caddy's for the grandparents. All were shit. I remember most of those sleds being at the damn dealerships from when i was a kid. Even the Z06 i bought was a maintenance pit...as was my brand new trans am WS6.

**** GM. They will never get another penny from me and most of my family again. Lets hope the rest of the country follows suit. Total shitstain company.

OhIIICobra

Established Member
I hope they get sued into bankruptcy by the thousands of people who have lost a loved one or been in an accident because of their neglect.

That way their corporate negligence can be shared among the American taxpayers...again? No thanks, been there, done that, hated it.

Anyone rolling in a GM post bailout needs to own their decision and take their lumps.

I have to wonder how many of the drivers were negligent in their driving skill. An engine that dies, losing power steering and braking is not an automatic death sentence. These are probably the people who make a habit of pulling out in front of 60 MPH traffic going 10 MPH while texting their BFF.

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
Im sure you meant 650 people SO FAR with 2.6 MILLION crashes directly related to it, right GM apologist?

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/gm...eaths-injuries-linked-ignition-switch-n168131

I grew up with nearly my entire family being Chevy.....until the early 90's. Too many poorly constructed shitbag cars that either broke down constantly or nickel and dimed my parents and grandparents to death. And they didnt buy the garbage models....camaro's, corvette, trucks, and Caddy's for the grandparents. All were shit. I remember most of those sleds being at the damn dealerships from when i was a kid. Even the Z06 i bought was a maintenance pit...as was my brand new trans am WS6.

**** GM. They will never get another penny from me and most of my family again. Lets hope the rest of the country follows suit. Total shitstain company.

No a GM fan boy. I have owned double digits from Ford. With that I was under the impression when you said thousands you meant confirmed deaths from the issue. At this point the 100% confirmed deaths I just read are less than 100. With that GM was absolutely at fault for not bringing this to light earlier. Those lives could have been saved. Period!

With that. The Ford I currently own with 39k miles has been in the shop more than any other vehicle I have owned...COMBINED. I have owned probably 15 vehicles with warranties and about 40 total. Numerous friends with newer Fords (all are ecoboost actually..EXP, F150) have been in the shop for numerous issues. My 06 Cummins i bought was in the shop a lot. Does that mean they are all junk? Nope. All vehicles have issues. There isnt a single brand that vehicle that will go issue-less. I see you had issues with your WS6. Clearly by my signature you can see I have owned a few. 19 actually. 11 were LS1 cars. Other than a few window motors and a TSB for bubbling top I have never had a single issue with any. And all got the crap beat out of them. But we can guess since you had issues with yours the LS based engines and cars they come with our pieces of junk.

Also if you look back at the bailout. One of the largest proponents for saving GM was FORD. So much of their tooling, production, aftermarket, assembly whatever is intertwined to the point FORD was questioning how GM closing would negatively impact them.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Riiiiiiiight, because not being a strong enough selling point means you reduce the coverage, not improve upon it, or offer even more enticements that hopefully won't cost much long term. The unspoken truth is likely that they can't financially justify the increased powertrain warranty claims.

Upon reading the article that was the first and biggest thing catching my eye. A good solid warranty is usually a selling point and if that can't even get people on board, what does that tell you? GM is probably taking a licking when it comes to repairs under warranty. Make a better vehicle already.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
It's smart for GM to drop the excess warranty that their peers don't even offer. Most new buyers won't have the car long enough to care about the additional warranty.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
No big deal for the majority of Corvette owners... New Vette's rarely see more than a few thousand miles in the first 5 years of ownership!

U.M.

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
good time to be a chevy tech, first they do away with clock time on repairs, now they do away with the 100k warranty

10splaya22

Established Member
Which power trains are unreliable?

And why is the warranty decrease an issue? Like mentioned ford, Toyota etc have 5/60.

IMO they are decreasing the warranties to get their costs down. These costs stem from unreliable powertrains in their vehicles. Toyota is generally known for having reliable vehicles so they don't need the warranty to help their sales. Chevy boosted their warranty to help their sales but it seems like they couldn't afford it due to fixing so many issues plus the very expensive recalls.

Car and Driver said:
Those are a lot of fancy words, but we can’t help seeing a different reason behind the move. On three separate occasions, three different Car and Driver editors experienced catastrophic engine failure in two 2014 Chevy Malibus and one 2014 Buick Regal GS. GM chalked it up to faulty connecting-rod bearings in two four-cylinder engines—the naturally aspirated 2.5-liter and the turbo 2.0—and admitted to replacing around 30 grenaded customer engines under the 5-year/100,000-mile warranty. Then there’s our long-term Corvette, which chewed its 6.2-liter LT1 to bits with a mere 6000 miles on the clock. That same 5/100 warranty covered the replacement engine, Chevy blamed oil-filter contamination, and so far the new engine is rumbling along just fine.

Last edited:

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I have to wonder how many of the drivers were negligent in their driving skill. An engine that dies, losing power steering and braking is not an automatic death sentence. These are probably the people who make a habit of pulling out in front of 60 MPH traffic going 10 MPH while texting their BFF.

This. I remember seeing a video during the Toyota/Lexus runaway pedal issue where a driver had "unintended acceleration" something like 2 min, long enough for the passenger to pull out a phone and film in, and NOBODY in the damn car thought gee, maybe I should just...turn it off? Put it in neutral? Nah, let's all just die.

Also if you look back at the bailout. One of the largest proponents for saving GM was FORD. So much of their tooling, production, aftermarket, assembly whatever is intertwined to the point FORD was questioning how GM closing would negatively impact them.

I don't really consider myself in allegiance with any one company. That said, I am getting sick and tired of the 'ZOMG GM took a baaaiiiiillllloutttttt!!!' whining.

Ford took a loan from a bank to maintain operations. The housing market crashed. The banks failed. GM and Chrysler tried to take a loan from the banks. The banks said sorry, you can't have our bailout money! So the gov't stepped in. 'Gave' them money, with all kinds of strings, and green agenda, blah blah, and now they're being crucified for it. Still. FFS, let it go.

It's smart for GM to drop the excess warranty that their peers don't even offer. Most new buyers won't have the car long enough to care about the additional warranty.

Ford's smaller warranty was a major deciding factor in my NOT buying a Ford for a few years. Why is this Ford truck MORE money for less options and less warranty? Oh hello Dodge Ram, you're awesome, have a 100k warranty and are $10k cheaper. Let's go home.

C0bra99

Established Member
Ford took a loan from a bank to maintain operations. The housing market crashed. The banks failed. GM and Chrysler tried to take a loan from the banks. The banks said sorry, you can't have our bailout money! So the gov't stepped in. 'Gave' them money, with all kinds of strings, and green agenda, blah blah, and now they're being crucified for it. Still. FFS, let it go.
Sorry to say but a loan is different then a bailout. Ford had the hindsight to try and fix their problems(even financed the logo) to fix the problem. GM and Chrysler sat on their hands and had to be saved. This speaks volumes to me.

This also speaks volumes to the quality of GM products. They can't build a vehicle that can last 100k:bored:.

Users who are viewing this thread