Chemical Guys Debacle

Steve1578

Established Member
Mods - I'm posting this here because I feel it makes the most sense. If this isn't the correct forum, my apologies.

So I ordered a PC 7424XP kit a few weeks back. Used it on a few sections of my car and loved it.
This is my first experience with a DA polisher, so I'm not aware of any "normal issues" to look out for.
Well, I noticed that the metal bracing on the BP had a bend, and was causing a wobble when the machine was on.
I immediately contacted CG and sent over a few pics. I waited 3 days and didn't get a response, sent another email(it was difficult to call because of my work schedule). After a week of no response I finally called in and was told they had issues with their mail client. Ok, it happens. So I sent the pictures to another address and they issued a replacement. A week later(today) the replacement arrives & the USPS charges me $1.05 because CG didn't pay enough postage when they shipped it out! Sure it's only $1.05 but damn that irks me. Wondering if anyone else has any weird experiences with CG customer service. I've made a few purchases from them and thus far am NOT impressed with their customer service. Shipping seems quick though, which is nice. Other than that, :nonono:.

Here's what it looks like - It's really hard to tell there's anything wrong when looking at it from above. The bend is just enough to wear the washer doesn't sit flush, and you can see the wear on the outer area of the BP where it was rubbing the PC.

unnamed.jpg
IMG_4833.JPG

Last edited:

M91196

Established Member
I feel you owe me for making me read all that for $1.05.
Alright I get it but I don't think anyone goes out of their way to bone someone on postage due. Did you try giving them a little heads up that they left you on the hook for the $. That would have been easier and more productive than a paragraph and pictures here.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
That was a lot to read for not much payoff. Pun intended.

I thought it was going to go into how you used it and it destroyed your car or something...

Monkeygrits

Newb SVT Poster
Established Member
So the backing plate was the only issue? They wear out over time and are cheap anyways. It's kinda shitty that u had to pay 1.05 I guess. Take your losses and buy their products from autogeek where you can get good customer service I guess.

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
They had a couple bad things happen in a row, they made a mistake, it only cost you a buck and some time. Cut your loss and always remember that it could have been way worse.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
I have that same backing plate that I use with my DA and had the same issue. $1.05 is not worth sweating, just buy elsewhere next time.

mcate

Established Member
They've got a reputation for lousy customer service. I've heard stories WAY worse. Like was said above, buy from AG & get better service.

motoman620

Established Member
Sorry to hear about your troubles, I have ordered from CG many times and have always had great customer service.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Not sure where to start...

This could be from improper technique and too much pressure being applied on an angle. I've seen 3 other people bend the plate and loosen the rivets on backing plates from doing that. I wouldn't dismiss this could have happened. While the issues with the email are one thing, they sent a replacement out no questions asked. I'd be super grateful and wouldn't care if I had to spend 10 bucks. I got a brand new free unit after I had used the first one for a few weeks.

Be happy you got a replacement without question. That is something most companies like this wouldn't do unless there was serious justification for it.

Users who are viewing this thread