check your axle nuts

corpsedub

Mighty Trust Krusher
Established Member
bros, just a friendly reminder to check those axel nuts on a regular basis. my cobra had been bump steering bad for the last month( more than they normally do). pulled out of a parking lot yesterday and i heard some clucks and squaks and my steering went all over the road. got home and pulled the drivers side rear wheel and the axel nut was finger tight at best. keep em tight.

greengt88

Established Member
Yea its scary, I thought mine was rear steering horribly and when I jacked up rear to take wheels off, they were so loose the wheels were wobbling back and forth as I was jacking it up....yikes....250 ft. Lbs, should be checked monthly or every oil change for sure. You can also put some loc-tite on the thread for good measure if yours back out.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Happens because the drivers side wheels spinning forward loosen them over time. Definitely a scary thought at highway speeds (especially highway pulls). The passenger side nuts get tighter. Lol!

BMW and some others have recognized this and set various parts like this up with a reverse-thread pattern to counter-act the natural tendency of loosening.

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
i have the same problem. mines always coming lose and has the clicking sound (havent had that noise in maybe 5 months thankfully).. but my rear driver side wheel bearing keeps going bad. i had the wheel off yesterday and it was wobbling back n forth. forgot to check the axle nut, but i'm sure its just the bad wheel bearing again. already changed the bearing twice.

changed the axle nut last time too, i think i have a warranty on those.
i have a lifetime warranty on the wheel bearing but i have to pay $30 everytime for a local tire shop to press the new bearing in. that adds up. if anyone knows an affordable press machine then let me know.

cbr repsol

Established Member
^^i have a harbor freight one i bought on sale for 100.00. Ive used it many many times with no issues. Its more than paid for itself for all the car work i do for people.

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
^nice. theres a few of those stores around my city. i'm gonna go get one soon. what model did u get? if u have the product number then i'll google it or see if its on ebay used.

greengt88

Established Member
If your wheel bearings keep going bad u may need new cross axis joints in the knuckles, this will put extra strain on the wheel and thus the bearing, causing failures. How does the car align? May not be detectable through that though. Maybe talk to bruce from full tilt boogie, he's the irs guru. AC427cobra is his user name

Teej281

Established Member
If these things are coming loose, they're shot. So retightening them is not going to help much! These are a one use item, as in use it once and its done! I would in no way ever want to reuse these!

Tims97SVT

Established Member
If these things are coming loose, they're shot. So retightening them is not going to help much! These are a one use item, as in use it once and its done! I would in no way ever want to reuse these!

Agreed! Use them then throw them in the trash. Or take one and put it with your spare blower belt, frps, and few other just in case parts in the trunk! But they should not be re-used.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Crap now I have to buy another tq wrench that's rated up to 250+lb/fts.

Anyone have a picture of what nuts I'm looking for?

Last edited:

ripnesscobra

Established Member
99-irs.jpg

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
If your wheel bearings keep going bad u may need new cross axis joints in the knuckles, this will put extra strain on the wheel and thus the bearing, causing failures. How does the car align? May not be detectable through that though. Maybe talk to bruce from full tilt boogie, he's the irs guru. AC427cobra is his user name

thanks. i'll contact him

Taz

Established Member
Crap now I have to buy another tq wrench that's rated up to 250+lb/fts.

Anyone have a picture of what nuts I'm looking for?

Here's a shot of the pkg w/ part # for you ...

RrAxleNuts.JPG

BTW, even a brand new driver side axle nut will loosen up if you don't use some red thread locker when installing.

:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread