Check out this new 4lb lower pulley that uses the factory cage

Tractionless1

Established Member
oh man! I hope that does not happen to the rest of us that have one of these..

Been down this road before with an old Apten lower setup with a tiny idler pulley that I couldn't source when it failed and had to buy a Metco setup. I've since switched to a caged 6lb and bought an extra idler pulley for that very reason during the GB.

If you locktited the bolt you'll be fine as far as it backing out. If the chinese bearings seize and shear it off, there's nothing you can do. I pulled said bearings out and replaced with ceramic$ before installation .

With that said the 6lb spins the supplied idler to 27k rpm at the motor's rpm limiter. 27k rpm is above the rating of even the ceramic$; however, the supplier has never seen a failure and said to be more concerned about lateral failure from an overtightened belt.

You can reach me via PM if you'd like ceramic bearing info.

Tractionless1

Established Member
where could i get a caged 4lb lower?

Market, used only, no plans to produce anymore. The OP considered a run last year then backed out. Used you're probably looking at $500-$800 as there were 2 levels. For reference, highest level 6 lb. here with an extra idler pulley set me back $1k shipped new during the original group buy. I've requested all selling used keep the price up, as it should be.

Last edited:

highcompression

...who ?
Established Member
I as well know the guy who originally made these. No way now that our cars are 10 years old that these pieces will start being reproduced. A amazing amount of r&d went into these. That small idler can become a issue, you MUST source a bearing that can handle those RPM's (ceramic bearings like aforementioned).

Tell ya what, I'll do my good deed for the day and make a call or text (I needed to ask him something anyhow) ... He might have a extra pulley, no promises. Should be like a 6203 bearing of sorts ?

highcompression

...who ?
Established Member
Let's face it guys ... Our cars are getting OLD, regardless of mileage. I've already started my stockpile of OEM and rare parts. Sold quite a bit to you all lately (reluctantly, but need $). I'll spend 1000's on parts, sit on them, and eventually come off them when I'm in the mood, lol.

Tractionless1

Established Member
I will provide all who PM me with the info. on the exact ceramic bearings I'm using. Be forewarned $135 for the pair or roughly the low end of what a tow will cost you, plus you may be out the idler pulley if it shears or gets buggered up. Your choice. If you can't source another pulley tack on the price of a new lower setup as well. The ceramic bearing price seems like a bargain now huh!?

Not worth it? No demand? Im worried about snaping my cranks snout.

He began the process of a 2nd run and found there wasn't enough demand to keep the price low enough and justify the effort. http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...2914-round-2-caged-lower-crank-pulleys-2.html See post #45. If enough people bump that thread with interest he may find a run worth it and start back up. I'd be in for one that has updates. Not that there's anything wrong with mine, but I'm always in for improvements fore reliabilities sake.

Don't worry so much about snapping your snout as the most common issue is oil pump damage while on larger TS cars with 20+ lbs. boost.

I'd still have the 8lb Metco on my Eaton if I wasn't spraying it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread