Check out these monsters!! 56K get a snickers

buxracing

I've gone to the darkside
Established Member
Actually they are black-and-yellow garden spiders (not poisonous to humans).
Two of them decided to make a home of a corner of the outside of my house by the air conditioning unit. I measured one of them to have a legspan of 6 inches and his body is 2 inches long, is this how big they usually are?
Took a couple if pics and one of them (smaller one)got a horsefly while I was taking pics and just let me say that these fuggers are quick! By the time I tried to change my camera to video mode he had already wrapped it and injected it....he walked away for a few minutes and then went back and started eating.
I just moved to Tennesee from Cali and aren't used to big ass spiders, anyway here are all the pics I took-

000_0018Large.gif

000_0017Large.gif

000_0016Large.gif

000_0015Large.gif

000_0014Large.gif

000_0013Large.gif

000_0012Large.gif

000_0011Large.gif

000_0010Large.gif

000_0009Large.gif

000_0008Large.gif

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
Never seen one before. I hate spiders...Especially when they are crawling on me. Snakes I can live with, but spiders...AHHHH.

jbindahoos

'04 Comp Orange Snake
Established Member
Naw, dunno what nicknames they've been given but it is a Black-and-yellow garden spider, you can tell obviously by the black and yellow body-but also by its tan legs and by the zig zag pattern the males leave near the center where they hang out.

Black-and-yellow garden spider-
byargiope8m1.gif

Nasty Notch

Resident Dissident
Established Member
Everyone I know call them banana spiders, and yes, they get HUGE!

My parents live in orange texas, and they get them all time. They make gigantic webs going from tree to tree, and you have to be careful where your walking our you'll walk right into one. My mom did one time and scared the shit out her, that was the only time she killed one, other than that, they just let them be because they dont really bother anybody...

1QIK-SNK

Established Member
only good spider is a dead one. i just got bit twice in my back of my leg. i have two big welts with a red dots. the red infected part is about the size of a tennis ball with a real sensitive(sp?) spot about the 1/8". hert like crap.
we have alot of black widows and brown recluse one here on the coast, but the bite was not either one of those.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
After being bit twice by unknown spiders, I have a hard time letting anything but a Grandaddy Long Legs live to see better days.

My gf has one of those outside her window, she's named it and won't let me smack it with a newspaper.

jbindahoos

'04 Comp Orange Snake
Established Member
SC ZX3 said:
Everyone I know call them banana spiders, and yes, they get HUGE!

My parents live in orange texas, and they get them all time. They make gigantic webs going from tree to tree, and you have to be careful where your walking our you'll walk right into one. My mom did one time and scared the shit out her, that was the only time she killed one, other than that, they just let them be because they dont really bother anybody...

Hope you never actually run into a real brown banana spider (central america)cuz those bitches are nasty.The venom of this spider is neurotoxic - acting on the nervous system - and causes little skin damage. Symptoms of a bite include immediate pain, cold sweat, salivation, priapism, cardiac perturbations and occasional death. Research suggests it is similar in action to a-latrotoxin, which is produced by spiders of the Family Latrodectidae, such as the Redback and Black Widow Spiders. 5-10 people die a year from this spiders bite and it is widely regarded as one of the most dangerous spiders in the world.

Brazilian wandering spider aka "Brown Banana Spider" (Highly Poisonous)
tpowspider1a1jrt.gif

Golden silk spider aka "Banana Spider" (Mainly Florida)
DSC00513.gif

Nasty Notch

Resident Dissident
Established Member
jbindahoos said:
Hope you never actually run into a real brown banana spider (central america)cuz those bitches are nasty.The venom of this spider is neurotoxic - acting on the nervous system - and causes little skin damage. Symptoms of a bite include immediate pain, cold sweat, salivation, priapism, cardiac perturbations and occasional death. Research suggests it is similar in action to a-latrotoxin, which is produced by spiders of the Family Latrodectidae, such as the Redback and Black Widow Spiders. 5-10 people die a year from this spiders bite and it is widely regarded as one of the most dangerous spiders in the world.

Brazilian wandering spider aka "Brown Banana Spider" (Highly Poisonous)
tpowspider1a1jrt.gif

Golden silk spider aka "Banana Spider" (Mainly Florida)
DSC00513.gif

Heh, guess I've been calling it the wrong name all this time, thanks for creeping me out :poke: :xpl:

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
buxracing said:
I just moved to Tennesee from Cali and aren't used to big ass spiders

heres a rule i learned about the southeast. if it bites, stings, scratches, slithers, or crawls, it lives here.

jbindahoos

'04 Comp Orange Snake
Established Member
SC ZX3 said:
Heh, guess I've been calling it the wrong name all this time, thanks for creeping me out :poke: :xpl:
Actually technically you're not wrong as humans have "nicknamed" about 3-4 spiders "Banana spiders", and the black-and-yellow garden spider is one of them.

SVTINBLAK

Established Member
Seems like I heard that the Grandaddy longleg spiders are one of the most poisonous ones around.However theyre not a danger to humans because there mouths are too little to bite us,or something like that...

MustangMike

GR81
Established Member
those damn garden spiders are EVERYWHERE down here in south Alabama... especially the more rural areas. When I was younger, we'd carry around propane torches and catch them on fire :D

Oh, and...

9COBRA5 said:
Seems like I heard that the Grandaddy longleg spiders are one of the most poisonous ones around.However theyre not a danger to humans because there mouths are too little to bite us,or something like that...

it's a myth.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread