Check it out, we can powder coat plastic!

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
Looks awesome. A buddy just got one of those machines you can use to "chrome" anything... Haven't asked him to do anything for me yet though!

Ryan@ActionPowder

Established Member
I'll try to answer all the questions above:
The coating is as durable as powder coating on metal surfaces. The adhesion is also as good. The substrate being coated must be able to withstand at least 300 degrees (these valve covers were cured @ 400 degrees for 12 minutes). Not all plastics can be done, but most of the quality plastics and composites can.

Buddy17

Avid SVTP(er)
Established Member
so how does the charging of the plastic occur?? I thought powdercoating was based on being able to apply a positive charge to the powder and a negative charge to the metal" (plastics in this case)

Ryan@ActionPowder

Established Member
how much for a set of valve covers?

Composite valve covers are going to run $125.00-$150.00 per set.

so how does the charging of the plastic occur?? I thought powdercoating was based on being able to apply a positive charge to the powder and a negative charge to the metal" (plastics in this case)

Standard powder coating is applied electrostaticaly on metallic surfaces.
Powder coating other substrates (plastic, composites, wood, etc.) is applied with a hvlp spray gun. This is achieved by liquefying the powder with a chemical. It is really cool, the powder goes on as a liquid and then after air drying for a while, goes back to powder. This is when it goes into the oven for curing.

4fit?

Established Member
Sweet. I had asked you a while back if you were able to do this yet. May be sending some valve covers your way before too long, if I don't sell her first.

Users who are viewing this thread