Check enigne light not working

maddmax1999

Established Member
I need to smog my car. The only problem is that the check engine light doesnt come on at all. When I got the car I noticed that and asked the guy selling it about it. He said it was because he had an off road x-pipe and had the cats turned off with his programmer. He smogged the car before he sold it to me and it passed. But even when I took the car home the check engine light still didnt turn on at all. So now 2 years later I need to smog it and it will not pass if the check engine doesnt turn on. I tryed turning the cats back on with the programmer and nothing. Do I have to drive the car after I do it? Only other thing I can think of is maybe theres no light blub in the dash.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
Pull the cluster and see if there is a bulb. I pulled the CEL in my Supra simply because I was tired of looking at it....but of course in the Supra you can't reprogram the ECU. It's possible your previous owner did the same.

Blueline

Established Member
If you do a bulb check with the key on does it light up? If it doesnt then the bulb may have gone bad or it was unplugged.

maddmax1999

Established Member
If you do a bulb check with the key on does it light up? If it doesnt then the bulb may have gone bad or it was unplugged.

When I check with the key it doesn't light up. Im hoping it's just a bad blub or there's no blub in there. I just don't understand why he would have pulled the bulb if he could turn off the o2 sensors with the programmer.

Blueline

Established Member
Maybe something else was throwing the light on. Or someone before him took it out. Who knows, hopefully when you fix the bulb the light doesnt come on constantly. Can you check for any codes?

Users who are viewing this thread