Check Engine ?'s

Qwk GT

Established Member
I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I recently purchased a livewire for my cobra and uploaded the canned tune. First couple of days, no issues, and I actually feel like the canned tune added a little power. Driving to work, noticed that the check engine light came on for a split second and turned off. Checked for codes, but the livewire advised there were no codes present.

I'm not sure if its related to the livewire/canned tune. Only had the car for a couple of months, but I never noticed this before. And not sure if its me, but the power the car felt like it picked up is missing, unless I'm getting used to it. Only things I can think of, but doubt they are the issue are:

1. Car sat outside at work in the rain, and the car has the hood vent mod. Maybe water got through and messed up a coil?

2. There is this black box looking connector on the passenger side of the engine bay, near the shock tower (or whatever its called), near the intake tube that looks like some kind of connector. Its plugged in tight, but looks like where it mounts to the car is loose. I doubt this is the problem, but can someone advise what this connector is?

3. Something related to the tune/livewire.

Car is a 03 Cobra, stock, 5,800 miles. Car runs fine I think, except the loss of the newfound power. Normally I'd assume replace plugs or fuel filter to start, but figured with the miles they would be ok. Only thing I can think of is to return the tune to stock.

Any tips appreciated.

Last edited:

Jefe

Established Member
Need to update your sig. I thought you had those mods on a canned tune...Still not a fan of canned tunes at all though. I would go back to the stock tune or look into a custom tune. No mods at all? Intake/Exhaust?

Ive never had a CEL come off and on like that so no clue. The black box next to your intake is the intercooler relay. Hood vents are nowhere near the plugs.

Qwk GT

Established Member
So I flashed the stock tune back in the car. Drove it around, there is no check engine light, but something is still not right. The factory shift light that comes on for the whole gas mileage thing will come on, and not shut off sometimes.

So I'll take it up to around 2000, the light comes on, and now sometimes will stay on no matter what rpm. This is really starting to get aggrivating.

yeah, have to update the sig, just really busy. The car has no mods, 100% stock, still has the air silencer and stock catback/pulley/pulley gaurd.

Any other opinions? I guess I'm going to try to call SCT. Nothing like this has happened before, so I'm pretty sure its related to the tuner.

Qwk GT

Established Member
So I took the car out for a drive to try to find a pattern as to when the shift light doesn't turn off. I can duplicate it most of the time if I drive up to 2k or so when it comes on and coast back down in the lower rpms in gear. At the time I was datalogging with the livewire.

Decided to disconnect the Livewire, and problem is gone. At least I coudln't duplicate it. I guess its got to be due to the programmer. Going to call SCT tomorrow.

Opions appreciated.

Jefe

Established Member
Besides the light how does it feel? A tune will get rid of that stupid shift light. If you go by that you will never make it above 2k rpm haha

Qwk GT

Established Member
I was originally worried about the shift light thing because I thought it somehow corrupted my stock tune/cpu. More or less just trying to originally diagnose the CEL. I'm pretty sure something is up with the liivewire. The car originally felt stronger when I uploaded it, then the CEL started and it started to feel like it had slight miss.

Restored the stock tune, datalogged and had all of shift light problems but the car felt better. Unplugged and car acts normal.

Called SCT and of course they blame my car. They said I could send it in or see if I could get another unit from the vendor since I just purchased it. Went that route.

Hopefully it doesn't happen again.

Users who are viewing this thread