Check Engine light. Please help

ol_redsy

Established Member
I have 5 codes currently P0401, P1131, P1151, P0171, P0174. I think this is all due to the O2 sensors. I called Ford and they want to charge $700+ to replace all 4. Can anyone provide some insight?

LostRacer

I drive a Jalopy
Established Member
what exactly are you asking? Insight on what? do you know what those codes mean "exactly"? Or are you asking for the definitions? Replacing the sensors you can do yourself. If thats what the problems truly are.

beyondloadedSE

Established Member
Seeing as how your throwing lean codes on both banks, it seems to me the 02 sensors are in working order. First thing i would check for is the obvious...an intake leak.

ol_redsy

Established Member
I do have a K&N air filter on the car. Unfortunately it was like this when I bought it and I do not have the original air box. Any suggestions on how to search out the intake leak? It's a 1999 CSVT, 85k

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
P0171 System too Lean (Bank 1)
P0174 System too Lean (Bank 2)
P0401 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected
P1131 HO2S 11 Indicates Lean
P1151 Lack Of HO2S-21 Switch Indicates Lean

The upstream O2s aren't throwing any codes, so all 4 do not need replacing. If you are DIY type, I would clean the down stream O2s and the EGR valve, reset the computer, and go from there to see if that fixes it or gets rid of any codes.

Sho Kid

DeadLee
Established Member
I have the same problem. My check engine light is been on for a month now. I took it to a shop and they found out that its a code P1131. They are going to charge $75.00 an hour to fix it. My question now is, does anybody know how to get rid of this check engine light problem?

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
You fix the problem and reset the ECU. If the problem isn't fixed and doesn't pass the self test it will throw the CEL again.

ol_redsy

Established Member
Does the ECU need to be reset? I had a Grand Am where the check engine light would turn off for months at a time after being on. I tried cleaning the MAF sensor but it's still on. Basically I'm trying to avoid spending hundreds at the shop and get it through DC inspection. Normally I would work on it myself except I don't have access to a garage here.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
If the problem is fixed yes. If the problem is not fixed its just going to come back. And don't think you can just reset it, take it to get inspected because it will come up as 'not ready to test' or something like that in the OBDII reader. I battled that for almost a month and six hundred miles until it was ready.

ol_redsy

Established Member
Just got a call from the shop, $600 for a MAF sensor and DPFE sensor. I checked autozone and can get a MAF sensor for about $50 and it looks like the DPFE is about the same. MAF is easy to get to. Can anyone provide me info on how hard it is to replace the DPFE sensor?

Users who are viewing this thread