Check engine light came on today...

USV8PWR

Established Member
Just some more clarification; it's the "Service Engine Soon" light and not the "Powertrain Malfunction/Reduced Power" light. My gut is telling me that I probably got some water in the fuel tank while washing it. I've washed it multiple times already and I always like to clean the inside of the fuel door area with soap and water. I'm sure that seal does not prevent water from getting into the tank. Anyway, I'll let you all know as soon as I have the code pulled.

91svtbird

Established Member
I have also seen a cel when the fuel level gets low in the tank and it's driven aggressively. Also once in a while right after a fill up.

USV8PWR

Established Member
I have also seen a cel when the fuel level gets low in the tank and it's driven aggressively. Also once in a while right after a fill up.

Soooo...I'm now even more nervous. I took my Shelby by a local Autozone where I know the store manager and asst. store manager and asked them to check the car for the code. I already have a scheduled appt. at a local Ford dealer (not the one I purchased it from) but wanted to have a little information going in. Plus I'm nervous about dropping off my $75K ride off for the day.

Anyway, what popped up on their scanner was something like "Evaporation Emissions Leak" & "Very Small". The guys first assumed I hadn't put on the fuel cap correctly but of course quickly saw these cars don't have a fuel cap. And of course I'm not an idiot who leaves his car running while filling up so that's not it either. They gave me a printout of the code read also and it says "Fuel tank pressure sensor condition" and that "The evaporative emission system sealed condition is monitored by this sensor". It's lists probable causes as "Fuel tank pressure sensor defective, check connector and wiring, check hoses and fittings."

They suggested I definitely take it in as it's indicating a possible small fuel leak or drop in pressure. So of course I'm taking it in tomorrow AM. It will be the first time taking the car in to a new dealer so I'm crossing my fingers it will be taken care of.

Also, my car SUCKS the gas down. I'm getting about 10 to 11 MPG around town (spirited driving) and only about 18 to 19 MPG on the highway going 75. I have never seen 20+ MPG even when being very easy on it on the highway. I have no idea how you others are getting 22 to 24 MPG in your cars. But maybe mine has a lot more power! :lol1:

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
Also, my car SUCKS the gas down. I'm getting about 10 to 11 MPG around town (spirited driving) and only about 18 to 19 MPG on the highway going 75. I have never seen 20+ MPG even when being very easy on it on the highway. I have no idea how you others are getting 22 to 24 MPG in your cars. But maybe mine has a lot more power! :lol1:

I also get around 10-12 mpg in the city driving, but I do get 22ish on the freeway.

USV8PWR

Established Member
That code is the infamous fuel cap code. Bet you have a bad "capless " cap.

Yeah they said anytime they get that code it has to do with the fuel cap. But since ours doesn't have a fuel cap, what part do you think is bad? Hopefully it has something to do with the door or the suction flip piece and that's it.

mullens

Established Member
Yeah they said anytime they get that code it has to do with the fuel cap. But since ours doesn't have a fuel cap, what part do you think is bad? Hopefully it has something to do with the door or the suction flip piece and that's it.

Probably like you said.. that flip piece most likely has a bad seal. I never really liked the capless thing.

Snoopy49

Established Member
I would have cleared the code and if the light came back on, I would insert the funnel in the spare tire well, into the fuel receptacle and see if I could get the seal too seat. Then clear the code again and see if my fix worked. But that just me.

gmenfan75

Established Member
My girlfriend had this problem with her escape. The dealer had to change the neck out. They said topping it off when filling it up set it off initially, but the light came on twice after resetting it. Good luck with it.

Last edited:

USV8PWR

Established Member
As a follow-up, I did take my Shelby in today. I had a very positive service experience at the local Ford dealer, Woody Anderson Ford-Huntsville, AL. The service manager insured my car was taken care of while it was there and that it was only handled by their master technician. I will definitely take it back there for other service related issues.

However, the could not figure out what caused my service engine soon light to come on. Like Autozone, they identified the code as an Evaporation Emissions Leak and they performed several air compression checks but could not duplicate or locate the cause of the leak. They even knew exactly the time and the RPM (1700) AND that the car was not moving when the service engine soon light came on, but they could not find the leak. So they reset my system, told me just to keep an eye on it, and of course to let them know if it comes on again.

Anyway, it appears my car is fine. And I'm still over here living the dream...one gear shift at a time! God I love this car! :rockon:

Colonel2014

Mine came on when I needed fuel at .25 of a tank. I filled it up and still on after driving 10 more miles. I turned it on today still on and check system says all good. So I am taking mine in tomorrow, because it says I have to immediately. Do not want to be blamed for an issue it might cause. :( I just did a search so I guess i is not common especially at 100 miles.

Colonel2014

I guess I should have read all the treads first sounds like me being low on gas and tapping the pedal a little might have sucked some air at a 1/4 of a tank maybe. So I will know tomorrow for sure I hope, but it runs perfect? I guess if it is low gas I will have to keep it at 1/2 tank from now on. it did say light is all about fuel in my manual if no message.

USV8PWR

Established Member
Mine came on when I needed fuel at .25 of a tank. I filled it up and still on after driving 10 more miles. I turned it on today still on and check system says all good. So I am taking mine in tomorrow, because it says I have to immediately. Do not want to be blamed for an issue it might cause. :( I just did a search so I guess i is not common especially at 100 miles.

I guess I should have read all the treads first sounds like me being low on gas and tapping the pedal a little might have sucked some air at a 1/4 of a tank maybe. So I will know tomorrow for sure I hope, but it runs perfect? I guess if it is low gas I will have to keep it at 1/2 tank from now on. it did say light is all about fuel in my manual if no message.

Sounds like a similar issue to mine. I would definitely take it into a Ford dealer and let them check it out, but probably like mine they won't find anything wrong. They saw the code but in the end my fuel system tested out fine and had no leaks. I believe the sensor was triggered from me washing the car with the gas door slightly open. I have always sprayed and washed that area out but since the Mustang has no fuel door I think you have to be that much careful not to touch the metal piece or get any water into the system. But it was also very low on fuel at the time (which my car is constantly low on fuel...even filled up it only has about 175 to 185 miles to empty!!) Who knows... :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread