"Check Engine" light after 100 miles

SUFitness

Established Member
Yesterday on my way home the "check engine" light came on.. and it's only my second day in the car (..so far I have 100 miles on it)

I know it's probably nothing, but I took it into the dealer this morning and they gave me a loaner for the inconvenience...

... a Chevrolet Cruse:xpl:

I just feel empty now.. it was so hard to leave my car at the dealer, I didn't want anyone touching it. They're working on it as we speak so I'll let you know what happened.

Oh, I also asked if they could remove the baffles out of my exhaust and they said that's a 3 hour job and would cost me $300... Does removing the baffles mess with your airflow at all? Or is it just a simple job?

86Fbody

Established Member
Might want to take it to a different dealer for service, they might take 4 days to change your oil and charge you a down payment on a house. Dealers must think people are brain dead to try and get away with that crap.

Smileyboy

2V guy
Established Member
You should have went to advanced auto or some place like that and had them pull the codes first. Then found out what you should do. I had codes on mine, but it was the random misfire code which is usually caused by bouncing the car off the rev limiter and isn't serious from what i have read (the code, not bouncing off rev limiter). It clears itself out after some driving around. The plates don't take much time.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
You need a different dealer....the baffles you can do yourself as stated and also a chevy cruze loaner??? at least a 5.0 should be the loaner...get the car out of there and go somewhere else

Jroc

Established Member
Really, a Chevy Cruze??? Are you sure you went to a Ford dealer?

Boss949

Established Member
3 Hours? That's crazy. Even if you are not a "do-it-yourself" kind of guy, it's a 1/2 hour labor charge that many dealers gladly charge for a few minutes. I think I paid $44.00 to have mine done before I picked up the car.

I would speak to the Service Manager to see just how many Bosses, Shelbys, Roushes they have worked on.

Mine is in the shop for the CEL for the second time and this time overnight. My Service Manager is looking at the "capless fuel filler door". He has seen this throw codes on other Ford products.

I will post tomorrow when I get an answer.

SUFitness

Established Member
Thanks for all the feedback guys.. so I got my car back and it turns out there was some sort of debris in my oil that was cluttering my sensors.

So they flushed my oil and the "check engine" light is off - now I'm off to find another dealer, or some good place for service..

Do all you guys use dealers for your maintenance?

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Uhhhh....100 miles and "debris" in your oil????

I would have asked for a sample of that to keep and I would be asking more questions. That ain't right.

Tom

sb03cobra

Established Member
Thanks for all the feedback guys.. so I got my car back and it turns out there was some sort of debris in my oil that was cluttering my sensors.

So they flushed my oil and the "check engine" light is off - now I'm off to find another dealer, or some good place for service..

WTF? What debris and what sensor? Sound like a bunch of BS to me. Did they list on your service ticket what oil they refilled with?

Last edited:

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member

What?

That didn't make you a little nervous, oil cluttering your sensors? That makes no sense at all, somebody's feeding you a line. I hate to say it but it helps to be car smart and realize your service writer is full of crap. What does the repair order say?

SUFitness

Established Member
I left the service ticket at my office so I'll check it in the morning to see what it said..

To tell you the truth I was in a rush today and picked up my car assuming these guys knew what they were doing.

I'll also call the dealer I bought it from tomorrow to let them know about this - why would they be feeding me a line though? What do they get out of it?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
hahahahaha man ive heard some shit before but this is a new one

Boss949

Established Member
I left the service ticket at my office so I'll check it in the morning to see what it said..

To tell you the truth I was in a rush today and picked up my car assuming these guys knew what they were doing.

I'll also call the dealer I bought it from tomorrow to let them know about this - why would they be feeding me a line though? What do they get out of it?
I had the same CEL issue. The Dealer/Service dept I use is very good. When it first happened, they read the Codes and did a fix according to Code.

However, it happened again. When it happens I don't have any performance issues as some owners experience, just the CEL comes on.

On further investigation, they found that the Crank Shaft Sensor (mounted under the Harmonic Balance had too much play in it, hence the random times it would cause the CEL. The part is defective and being replaced.

Also Ford Tech Line is having them perform the "Crank Sensor Relearn" for the TracKey in a new way.

Codes are P0300

Hope this might help with yours.

Debris in the oil?

I'm no engineer, but isn't that why we replace the oil after the first 1000 miles (old school guys) because of the new engine and possible debris????

I don't care what the Manufacturer says about 5000, 7000 miles for first oil change.

Last edited:

Para81

Established Member
Definitely get a new dealership. Remember the majority of profits are not from selling cars, it's from the service shops. Some will smile, shake your hand and charge you triple.

SUFitness

Established Member
UPDATE (story continues..)

Alright so here is the work that was performed yesterday.. as you can see there was "debris" in the oil, and I'm not a carguy, but this doesn't look right:

d6ee3acc.jpg

Now to make things worse.. this morning my "Check Engine" light went on AGAIN.

So I call around to all dealer service centers and ask them some questions about the car to see what they're talking about.. and now the car is at Torrance (about 45 min away from me)

I had to drop it off for the night, and they gave me another rental

.. a Nissan Sentra :xpl:

I asked what else they could give me, but my other option was a Crown Vic..

I'm feeling really anxious about all this, I've driven more in rental cars than in my 13 Laguna Seca - what if I just go hard and say I want to return it? Are there any contract rules with this? What would you guys do in my situation?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Alright so here is the work that was performed yesterday.. as you can see there was "debris" in the oil, and I'm not a carguy, but this doesn't look right:

d6ee3acc.jpg

Now to make things worse.. this morning my "Check Engine" light went on AGAIN.

So I call around to all dealer service centers and ask them some questions about the car to see what they're talking about.. and now the car is at Torrance (about 45 min away from me)

I had to drop it off for the night, and they gave me another rental

.. a Nissan Sentra :xpl:

I asked what else they could give me, but my other option was a Crown Vic..

I'm feeling really anxious about all this, I've driven more in rental cars than in my 13 Laguna Seca - what if I just go hard and say I want to return it? Are there any contract rules with this? What would you guys do in my situation?

unless your dealer allows it there are no returns. but there is a lemon law an if you have the issue 3times for the same thing then you could get ford to buy back.

Boss949

Established Member
Might want to suggest that they check the "Crank Shaft Sensor"; sits under the Harmonic Balance. Mine was defective and "moved easily".

Not all the techs check this item. Most are reading the computer. it's happened to a couple of us that I know of.

Do you have TracKey?

Users who are viewing this thread